Sunday, September 29, 2024

Layout Progress - Lights, DS64s and Station Building

We are now in the first week of the new no work world.  This involved some tidying up activities but I also got to the shed.  I started by installing the string of LED lights above South Brisbane Interstate Yard.  I also installed a short 1m length of LEDs from South Brisbane over to Park Road Siding.  This section of frame was also painted black to hide it.  I also added about 35cm to a length of LED frame above Border Tunnel.  Actually it was above the trackage to Fisherman Islands.  This is where a huge number of levels of trackage cross.

On the middle right is the lights above South Brisbane Interstate.  On the middle to the left is the extra 1m extension I installed.  In the foreground above that are the sting of LEDs above Park Road Siding.

This is the section of trackage that had multiple levels.  Staring from the lowest is the track (just above the digitrax DS64) between The Risk Crossing Loop and it goes around a large loop and comes in at the next level up entering the Tunnel.  This is Border Tunnel between New South Wales and Queensland.  Above this level is the trackage from Fairy Hill Loop to wards Kyogle.  In Kyogle Yard is my railset train.  A few inches above this is the dual gauge trackage leading to Fisherman Islands Yard on the left.

The next piece of work was to build the frame for the LED lights from Fairy Hill Loop (northern end) to Kyogle Loop.  The string of LED was then stuck to the new LED frame.  I then painted that section of frame to hide it.  As this length of LED strip was only about 2.5 metres long, I then added two small 1.2m lengths of LED strip between The Risk and Border Loop sections.  These three lengths were then tied back to the same power plug.  I did not have any power supplies left, so I ordered 4 more midweek.  To blow my mind, they rocked up on late Friday afternoon even though they said that delivery was going to be mid to late next week.  Brilliant service.  A test on Saturday morning proved that they were all in good working order.

I decided to do a bit of running.  First trip was running my XPT from Acacia Ridge Yard to South Brisbane Interstate.  That was then followed by a trip back from South Brisbane, all the way back down to Cassino.  While driving I discovered that two point motor push buttons were not throwing their respective points.  I tried those DCC addresses directly from the NCE handheld and they also did not work.  I double checked the wiring and that looked all good.  I did notice that whenever I tried to throw the point in Park Road Siding, that the Digitrax DS64 did not light up when the fourth address was activated.  So it became apparent that the fourth address in that particular DS64 switch decoder, had lost its marbles.  So I reprogrammed all the four addresses again, and you guessed it, all four now work.  Now the second point address that did not work was over in the narrow gauge yard in Clapham Yard.  Unfortunately, to get access to this DS64 decoder, I had to crawl under the layout, pop up in one of my viewing holes in the corner of the shed and again program all four addresses again.  So I did this and Voila.  That narrow gauge crossover came back to life.  It was another instance of the third address on this DS64 losing its marbles.  This is probably the most difficult location in the shed to access.  Hopefully I won't need to do this again.

I also finally got around to installing glass in the 6 toilet windows in the back platform road side of my Cassino station building.  These were then installed into the building.  I then made up two new front windows for the station building.  I also cut some frosted glass for these windows.  Next step was to build another five windows for above the various doorways in the building.  I also added an internal door into the Mens toilet and a window above that.  All of this occurred prior to and during the AFL final.  Go Lions!

I also did some work on the railmotor - adding the backing to the steps.  I also installed the toilet windows to the back platform road of the Cassino Station building.

The next task for this coming week is to add a roof to the Cassino Station Building.  That will be followed by creating basic box structure for the Cassino Refreshment Rooms building.  The project will then be parked for a while other work is performed.

No comments:

Post a Comment