Sunday, September 1, 2024

More Cassino Station Building Progress

On Monday this week, I was trying to find some appropriate motors that I might use on my QR railmotor.  My plan is to use a 8mm long x 4mm round motor that I would direct drive onto the wheel rim.  I would mound the motor on the bogie and it would fit between the 12mm wheels.  However, that only motors that I can find are 20K rpm up to 47K rpm.  That is way to fast.  If they could do 2K rpm, or even up to 5K rpm that would power the railmotor at a convenient and more appropriate model speed.  But I cannot find any of these such motors.  I’m sure they exist.

Tuesday morning I decided to do some station building work before heading back to work.  I wanted to make my sliding windows in the Cassino station building.  I looked at a couple of ways to make them, but decided that I needed some scale channel and have each window run inside the channel.  However, I had no styrene of that type.  No matter, I headed down to Hobbyone.  Bugger!  They did not have that size styrene in stock.  However, they checked the supplier and they could have it here in a day or two.  I said Saturday was fine.  I had to go to work for the rest of the week. 

So after lunch I cleaned up the first 25 of the awning brackets that Greg 3D printed for me.  I then gave them a touch of Mission Brown paint from the spray can.  I also cleaned up the support blocks that support the awnings.  I also painted them up with a cream colour.  I also cleaned up a few door and these were also painted.  The doors and awning brackets were added to the building, and then the support blocks just under the awning brackets.  The model was starting to look good.

On Tuesday afternoon, I decided to make the sliding door in the Cassino Station Building and paint it.  So that was easily done.  But after that one was installed on the model, I realised that I needed two of them – one on each side of the building.  At this time, I am only adding detail to the back platform side of the station building.  The second sliding door got completed and installed on Saturday afternoon.

I got a text message on Saturday morning advising that the styrene was put aside for me at the shop.  Great service and also cheap.  So when I got home I glued two strips of channel together and fixed it to the top and bottom of the window openings all around the Station Masters office.  I then started making the individual window sliders.  Once put in and tested, I then added the internal panes.  The windows were then spray painted and allowed to dry.  So the first 6 were completed later on Saturday afternoon.  The two window openings for the breezeway end were cut up, thus 4 more windows were completed on Sunday morning.  These have been painted and are now ready to install into the station building.


The four windows for the end of the station masters office.

This is the back platform view of the Cassino Station building.  Two doors and one sliding door have been installed.  The windows above the doors still need to be built, painted and installed.

The rear of the Cassino Station Building at the Station masters office end.  These six windows can all slide in their own tracks.
So between all this activity, I decided that I needed to make another lot of pallets.  I made 27 on Friday evening after work.  I made another 27 on Saturday evening before dinner.  I also did another 26 this morning.  I think I will put together another 50 odd over next week and then paint these up, so I have about 125-130 ready for sale in various colours.

Three strings of pallets ready to be cut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment