Yesterday I picked up most of the narrow gauge items that I need to start the install of Rocklea Siding. I am still waiting for some dual gauge Tillig track to come into the local hobby shop.
After visiting the hobby shops yesterday I went over to the Club for our monthly meeting day and did what I have not done for some time - run some trains on the layout. This time, I took a couple of 12mm locos and half a dozen carriages (my whole collection) and did a few laps on the layout. Since I had last run on the layout, the wifi system had changed at the Club, so I had to set up my phone again. I really need to operate wirelessly, I cannot handle plugging in via my hand held throttle. After a couple of laps on wifi I asked about what happened to the Club's radio base station. Apparently that was a loaner from a member. Luckily big Dazza had his NCE RB02 tucked away in his train box, so I plugged it in and then went radio via my ProCab-R. I find this so much better to control a train on the layout than a phone via wifi. I can set up my Procab to have 6 different locos and can scroll through them. So much easier.
Today I ripped up about a meter of track between the southern entry to Clapham Yard around a bit of a curve to where the tracks to Rocklea Sidings are going to diverge. I had to remove my transition track which takes the third rail from the left to right side and then end for end an existing length of Tillig dual gauge flex track as the third rail was now on the other side. I then installed a narrow gauge left hand curve point and then ran a single rail of code 100 around the outside of the 12mm point, in the location of the outside standard gauge rail. I then re-installed the transition track into the main line and then joined up to existing track work heading towards Acacia Ridge Yard. The reason for the transition track is that Tillig only makes left hand standard gauge diverging track with the dual gauge going straight through with third rail on the left hand side in the direction of travel. This diverging piece of Tillig track will allow the standard gauge to get access to Rocklea Sidings. You know what they say, good things come to those that wait. I just have to wait for a track delivery to the local hobby shop.
While the track work in Rocklea sidings in basically finalised, I am tossing up adding a small section of dual gauge track that used to go across a bridge over a creek inside the industrial complex that was Rocklea Sidings. I have the various scratch built splitter tracks that I had made previously for various locations around the layout, ready for use in merging and diverging the length of dual gauge track. I’m just thinking of doing it because I can. But it means that I might need another point motor and a point accessory controller. More Money!