Sunday, September 22, 2024

Game, Set, Match. That's a Wrap. It is All Over!

No more work.  I have retired, well actually, I'm on extended Long Service Leave until August next year.  But they have taken my work accesses away, both physical, and electronic and if they want me, they will have to negotiate!

On Thursday a few of us, possibly about 40 went to the Platform Bar across the road from work and had a good meal and a few ales, or just popped in to say good-bye.  So Friday was my last day at work.  I made someone cry, and HR did not have to get involved.  I got a few hugs as well.  We had a morning tea and a couple of speeches.  I finally got a Golden Screwdriver among other items.  I have no idea where they found it.  I may have to mount the old Golden Screwdriver in the shed.   We then went to the roof of the old work place and celebrated with a few guys and girls from work.  We ended up with 169 Coronas on the table, only because they ran out.  We drank them dry - again.  We got a few photos of the old team, unfortunately after Tony Bourne had already left for the evening.

Most of the old team! Rob, Wikus, Rod, John, Good Looking, Shaun, Dave, Fitzy and Richo and Chrome Dome in the front.

The tables by the end of the night



Saturday was the monthly NMRA meeting day.  The old engine was not firing on many cylinders on Saturday morning.  But after a few Panadol and a bacon and egg sandwich and lots of water and some coffee, I at least had a moving body.  It took until after the NMRA meeting started at 10:30am before we had all cylinders firing.  A few at the meeting mentioned that I was unusually quiet.  We actually had a great meeting with Ross Balderson MMR talking about some of the tricks used to build structures on his masterpiece layouts Sydney Central and Newcastle 1899, followed by more presentations from Marty, Barnacle Bob and Glen (our stand in co-ordinator for the day - I'd give him a pass).  I can't wait to see Sydney Central in person (and maybe again).  I think I might have seen it in person previously at a Modelling the Railways of NSW Convention once in the distant past, but I can't remember for sure.  A great day at Sparkles house was had by all who attended.

I also spent about an hour in the shed today and attached a power supply to power the LED lights over South Brisbane Interstate Yard.  I still need to connect the lights to the pelmet this coming week.  I will also be looking at mounting the LED lights over Fairy Hill Loop through to Kyogle next week as well.  I seem to now be unencumbered by this 'work thing', and can almost be my own boss.  However, I still need to keep the real boss happy. 😉

So since then, I bricked my home laptop trying to remove some old work related email accounts.  So I had to reconfigure my email from scratch.  I have got all my personal emails back, but lost all my family birthdays in the calendar etc.  After a not so short period, I think all these events have been painstakingly put back in.  There must be 100 events with about close to 40 nieces and nephews alone, before their kids were added, along with all the anniversaries etc.  All my regular meetings, etc.

I might sleep in tomorrow.

Go the Lions!

No comments:

Post a Comment