Sunday, September 15, 2024

SX Problems Solved and a Day Out

On Monday this week a group of us distinguished modellers went down to the Gold Coast via train and tram.  We had lunch at the Broadbeach Tavern and then came home.  I think Clinton is still on his way.  Clinton missed the train down, missed one of the tram sections.  It was quite amusing.  While on the trip Arthur was advising what 12mm wheel back to back that he uses.  I eventually got a new battery for my Vernier Callipers and then adjusted all the originally IDR SX bogies to Arthur’s magic 12.3mm  Most of mine were set to 12.3mm – 12.34mm.  I also had to cut out some of the underside of the centre sill so the bogies can turn to fit though some Peco 12mm curve points.  I also had to move the couplers out to the outside location so I do not get coupler lock through a set of Peco 12mm points configured in a cross over arrangement.  However, I have now completed all my improvements to the coaches and they run through all the trackage on my layout without issues now.  One might expect that for $750 they might come already in that mode.

On Tuesday, I added a power supply to the Fairy Hill section.  This is a bridge rectifier connected across the track power and then a capacitor added to smooth out the power.  I connected that to the Arduino used in this section to power the Fairy Hill Community Hall Disco and the various vehicle lights on Fairy Lane.  So I have removed a USB power supply from the Arduino and now use track power.  I also used that power supply to power the sound module I acquired from Barnacle Bob.  This module produces some random outback dunny noises from behind the Fairy Hill Community Hall.

A view from on top of Helensvale Station.  The Gold Coast Tram is on the right.

I also wired up the double output ‘N Scale’ street light that I used as a platform ramp light at Kyogle.  That works pretty well.  I also added a bit of a flash to one of the lights because I could.

Modelling work has been adding as few doors and a few windows to the front of my Cassino Station Building.  I also added the roof beams to support the rear platform awning.  Next step is to add the awning supports for the main platform, along with the corbels and the roof beams for the main platform as well.  I should complete the windows by next weekend.

Friday I picked up Glen and we travelled over to PK’s place.  We checked out his wood working skills.  he even provided us with coffee and biscuits.

Saturday went to the Club and attended the AGM.  I think we had 49 or 50 in attendance and about 5 or 6 proxies.  While there Trevor gave me some 3D printed locomotive motors to decorate around the layout.  Two x 8 cylinder ones for my 1720’s and 2 x 16 cylinder ones.  They are brilliant.

I also picked up an overhead crane from PK.  So on Saturday night I cut up some styrene and made another 6 legs for the travelling rails, extending its travel length.  I still need to add some length to the overhead rails, but this kit will go into my Rocla Sleeper Siding to help move concrete sleepers, which then get loaded onto my sleeper train in my Ops session

No comments:

Post a Comment