Yesterday, I made my way over to Anthony’s place for his monthly Operations Session. I was the only NSW modeller in attendance, now that Brendan has changed his stripes to Yellow (or should I say Gold) on Blue. I was joined at the session by Brendan, Mark, Jeff and Jeff’s father Ian who was on holidays in the sunshine state on this rather dreary day, as well as our host – Anthony.
Another train I had was the stonie. This runs onto the branch at Border Junction and sets back into the stone loading facility siding at that location. Again more mental arithmetic needs to be done, as my van and 9 empty stone wagons are on the train and the wagons can only be loaded 3 at a time. Luckily there is a small storage siding off the loading siding for me to stow 3 wagons and the van. So after a bit of a soft shoe shuffle in lots of three wagons, and a couple of ventures out onto the branch in between trains, I finally got this train loaded. Then I need to get down to the branch terminus so I can run around the stone train. Again not so easy as I need to end for end the guards van as well, before I can come back. I also have a single ended loco, so off to the turntable so I can see what is happening as I head on my way back to staging.
I wonder if I can work some of these puzzles into my timetable escapades?
There was also another branch train, a passenger, that needed to do some drop offs of a couple of fast goods wagons to the dock siding at Tatiara Downs, before I made my way onto the branch. Once at Jameston, I also needed to drop a passenger van at the goods shed for later return, before running around, turning the loco, adding two extra cars to my consist due to it being school holidays and I was away back to Tatiara Downs. After the passenger disembarked at this major station, I have to run around my train (I was getting dizzy) and then had to shunt my carriages into the carriage siding next to loco.
My simplest train of the day was the first. It was taking control of the Overland from Tatiara Downs following the loco swap from VR power to SAR power. Once I got to staging I also had to take the motive power off the train, and shuffle the locos into another siding (Siding A) as the train is too long to sit in No.1 track with motive power attached.
Today I unpacked the items into the shed that I took to the Model Railways for a Day Seminar last Sunday. These had been sitting on the dining room table drawing the ire of the financial controller. Well it has rained all week so I did not have time. (Well it didn't rain on Thursday - but I mowed the grass on that day, so I think I was allowed some grace due to that)
Today my only modelling work was attaching 42 x 44 gallon drums to some masking take and then painting them all silver. That will be the base colour before I had other colours to these drums on another day.