On Friday evening I went down to the shed and did some thinking. Well actually I ran a train. I progressed one train (the Brisbane Limited) two staff sections and it is now sitting in Acacia Ridge Yard. I then checked the next 3 timetable cards to take, and they all started at 8:55am or 9:00am. The three trains on the layout were all at their 9:00 or 9:05 location, so the timetable is ready to be restarted at 9:00am.
Then I returned to this thinking thing. I was considering how I could incorporate a 12mm loco siding into Acacia Ridge Yard. After a few minutes I thought I would extend the baseboard by a small piece of wood about 100mm x 350mm to fill in a section. By doing this I could put a siding in. I thought some more and then I came to the conclusion, if I put a double slip in where a set of points already exists, I’d have more flexibility and two tracks will have direct access to this new loco siding. I then worked out that if I replaced another set of points at the dead end section of the yard at Acacia Ridge, with another set of Double slip points, then I could continue the trackage from the first double slip to this new one. This also has the advantage that I can replace a rather dodgy 12mm set of points - unknown brand. This points have no inbuilt spring like the Peco points.
So on Saturday I hit the loco hobby shops. I picked up a set of double slip points from Ray's Austral Modelcraft and installed it when I got home. I also cut the extra bit of baseboard for Acacia Ridge Yard. I then cut off two strip of 100mm baseboard that were joined length wise and this has been added onto the back of Fisherman Islands Yard. This will allow two small loops to be added at this location, increasing the number of 12mm tracks.
So I think I now have my list of 12mm track that I need to procure to complete my track laying process on Cassino. It is still about four hundred dollars worth but next year around the May exhibition in Brisbane will be when I buy the final purchase of the track. The Monday of that weekend will be a long weekend, and as such that will be the day that it will all be laid. I just need to save up.
During the week, I had a bit of success. It turned out that PK was willing to part with 4 QR coal wagons, so this transaction will be the start of my narrow gauge coal train. I just need another 4 wagons and this train will be complete. I then need about 6-8 grain wagons for my grain train and then at least another 3 WHO wagons for open wagons. Then I think my whole 12mm rollingstock collection will be complete except for two more 1720 locos that I want to buy and, yes, the soon to be delivered 2300/2400 locos.
Monday this week was a day off for me, as my layout was open for visiting as part of the 2018 NMRA convention on the Gold Coast. I had about 10 people come through. I was ably helped by Lefty on the day. This same day I added three extra QLink Tautliners to my layout as I bought them off John. So I think I have a nice number of wagons now. Who knows what else will come onto the market that will mean that I need to buy some more, but I’m happy at the moment.
Today I hot the shed while I had the TV on for the Women's Grant Final and the InTrust Interstate match. I decided to run two trains that were not run during the open days last weekend. This was numbers 19 and 19A, a local train from Grafton Yard to Acacia Ridge Yard and then Clapham Yard and then onto South Brisbane Interstate Yard. I then worked out that while the timetable had two shunt trains in it, my timetable cards were missing two shunt trains from Clapham Yard to Rocklea Siding. I will fix that this week. But while thinking about working this train Number 68 and Number 69, I worked out that I needed another set of points from my dual gauge track in Clapham Yard to the standard gauge track 3. So I found two left hand small radius points and installed then. One was bit-bashed into a dual gauge point, with the narrow gauge going straight through only. I still have to make one more Dremel cut in one rail and then wire these up tracks back up, as I'm sure I have disruptive the various power circuits with the various insulated joiners I have installed. I will get stuck into this tomorrow, as well as test powered locos through these newly modified sections of track.