Sunday, May 21, 2017

OMG!  I Need a Rest After a Great Convention Weekend

This weekend has been a really long one.  It started on Thursday at sparrows, when Dave and PK rocked up and we headed off down towards Murwillumbah, Lismore and then over to Old Casino and finally Casino.  We had some walk arounds at each location and took plenty of photos.  From there we headed over to Tenterfield before dropping down to Glen Innes and then catching up with Rohan Fergusson.  We had a view of his layout due to be displayed at Epping in a few weeks.  Guys this is amazing.  I do remember it in its previous guise back from 2005 at Brisbane and I even found a photo from then.  From there we scootered down the New England and ended up at Tamworth for the night.

Next morning we hit the road and were bombarded by trains at Werris Creek and lots of places between there and Muswellbrook.  Again lots more at Muswellbrook and then we headed down to Sydney and our motel at Sutherland.  Then the troops started to arrive.  Geoff and Dazza, Sailor Darryl, then John, and then the Toowoomba boys - Smithy, Bazza and Doug.  Apparently the first carton did not last long.  We had a great dinner at a Sutherland Hotel and then I went back to the motel to try and get my internet connection working, but it did not and I then ran into Stephen as he was walking past my unit.  The others came back a while later and some more drinks were consumed.

The reason for the trip was Saturday.  We rocked up to the Loftus TAFE and caught up with all our interstate mates.  Of course this was for the Modelling the Railways of NSW Convention No. 34.  I attended 5 sessions, purchased a few items (Shhhh!  They really were cheap).  It was a really great day.  Apparently I’m doing a presentation next year.  I enjoyed cathing up with many of my Interstate friends.  On closing the convention for the day, we headed back to the motel where we joined forces the for 1 hr trip across Sydney to Marcus’s place.  Hospitality was in spades!  Marcus cooked 12 of us Spaghetti.  We then had desert.  Then the piece de resistance, the descending into the garage and the official viewing of the Main North.  Absolutely Brilliant in an understatement!  I think everyone got to run at least something.  We had a great time, with many other like minded model railway guys.  Did I mention Marcus also putting on supper.  We finally got home at 1:00am and then finally to bed.

On Sunday morning, we bid farewell to Dazza and Geoff and hit the road and had coffee just down the road, before heading back across town to James’ Lambing Flat layout.  Again a few did a bit of a run.  We dropped off Darryl who headed back to Nowra, and we then headed to East Maitland to watch some trains.  We again were not disappointed.  We then let John go his own way, while we headed up the coast towards, Taree.  We had a look over the station, before we ran into Matt from Matt’s Ballast and had a bit of a talk and tour of the Taree Clubrooms.  Then we headed north to Port Macquarie, were we are tonight.  We just had fantastic grub at the an Irish joint.

So when I get home, I will post hundreds of photos over the next week or two from this vast road trip.

We have been having a ball.  What a great group of guys.  Thanks to PK and Dave for a great time so far.  We hope to get to Grafton for a look tomorrow before getting home in the arvo.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an epic road trip Craig. Layouts, trains and abandoned stations... hope heading back to reality this week doesn't hurt too much! Looking forward to those photos.