Sunday, May 28, 2017

Murwillumbah About 25 Years on.

On our road trip to the Modelling the Railways of NSW Convention last week in Sydney, our first stop was Murwillumbah.  I wanted to get a few shots of some of the infrastructure so I can model it correctly on my layout.  I know that 26 years of growth and change can certainly make things look different and it certainly does look different to some of the other photos that have made it to the internet from various posters.

The following photos are of Murwillumbah Station and its surrounds that I will try and re-create in detail on my layout.

The small siding behind the platform.  I assume this was to store a loco or even a railmotor when that was providing the service to Cassino.  My siding does not yet have a buffer at the end.  We even have a rare specimen of a PK in the shot.

A view looking south from the track.

Looking north from the track.

The Platform and the Loop looking south

This buffer is where the motorail wagons were loaded.

Looking in the opposite direction to above towards the turntable

This is where the track to the turntable and the siding come off the Loop.

The water tank.

The track to the turntable.

The Turntable.

Looking north back along the platform.

They even had a small crane for loading bananas and shopping trolleys.

The southern end of the Platform.

The banana loading shed.

The station yard all overgrown.

The track looking south.  I think they might have had some water through the area.

7 comments:

  1. Murwillumbah yard looks reasonably weed free after all the years of non use. Many other sections have trees now in the four foot
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics. Those trees have certainly taken off. I was only a young fella in the mid'80's watching jumbos shunt the Motorail and X217 keeping the water tower company. Pity it was all on dodgy silent home video and no photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great Murwillumbah update Craig. Thought you might like to compare it to some of the 1993 shots I posted a few years back that show some of the banana wagons in the sidings. They're over on my other blog at http://phillipoverton.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/murwillumbah-going-bananas-over-trains.html
    Cheers, Phillip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phillip,
      I had already bookmarked those photos and along with many more will be used help craft a near enough Murwillumbah.
      Craig

      Delete
  4. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!
    cheap available gaming chairs under 100 dollars

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the place, used to live nearby.
    Best Convertible Car Seats

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first photo of the rail siding with the buffer stop is the 2nd generation motorail unloading/loading platform so the cars didn't have to cross Railway Street rail crossing. The set of points came from Condong.

    ReplyDelete