Sunday, March 24, 2024

Lots of Presentations

So it appears I’m now locked in to do 3 presentations at the upcoming Div 1 clinic weekend in May.  The first presentation is pretty easy as it is basically a re-hash of another clinic that PK and myself did at the NMRA Convention in October last year in Sydney on Weathering.  However the other two presentations are quite new.  The second presentation is a flow on from the one we did in Sydney, and it should not take that long to put together.  The last clinic is about Modelling Tarpaulins.  I basically wrote that on Friday afternoon and yesterday.  I have three more slides to update, a few photos to take and include in the presentation, and I really need some proper drawings of some sketches I put together – to improve the professionalism of the presentation.  I might have to call on a mate to assist with that task – Hi Glen!  When you did dob me in.

I also have had a bit of an email chat with Warren from Gwydir Valley Models about his convention in Armidale in November this year.  This convention is not to be missed.  Most in our modelling group have all had our accommodation booked for the last couple of weeks.  So basically this presentation has also been started and is the least complete of all of them.  I had promised Warren that it would be complete in about 3 months.  I have some Long Service Leave at the moment so I will spend quite some time completing my various Powerpoint presentations.  While on the topic of presentations, this morning at 9:00am I gave another presentation which I also gave in Sydney last October at the NMRA Australasian Convention, but this time it was on NMRA-X to a potential worldwide audience.  I think today’s presentation went over reasonably well.

On Friday evening I also caught up with Darren and Geoff, over at Brendan’s place for a great dinner prepared by Brendan and his better half, before we sat down for a modelling night.  I let time get away from me on Friday and I was not looking at the watch and ended up getting there slightly late.  I think Brendan had an ulterior motive with our attendance. He requested assistance in installing his adhesive backed professionally printed backboards and boy to they look smicko!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It took us some time to plan the installations but we did it.  People will go off when they see these when this layout finally gets shown at a Model Railway Exhibition in the future.  The track work is very nice.  The background sounds are unbelievable.  This will be a hit when it debuts.

During the week we also had our Tuesday Nighter’s meeting down at Geoff’s place.  We had a good turn up of about 9 people.  We had lots of very good discussions.  I have also been spending time with planning a potential ‘what if’ exhibition layout for the future.  I have started to do scale baseboards on paper with the various track layout plans copied to the paper plans.  At its true scale (as best as we can estimate from various documents and plans that we have available), the layout will be probably over 6m long and may work out too big.  But once we have it fully planned out, we can then see where we can employ modeller’s license to shorten some of the sidings and loops, to see what we can realistically fit in and operate.  I think this process will take quite a few more weeks to plan.

On Friday Morning I picked up some plastic storage boxes from Big-W and I have now moved all my Railway Digests (they go back to 1974) into these plastic storage boxes.  I think I will purchase another 7 of these plastic storage boxes, and also move all my AMRMs to the same type of boxes.  These will all end up in the layout shed under the baseboards.

Today I have been continuing on with my modelling efforts the same as Friday evening at Brendan’s place.  A bit more work was done on the Kyogle Station building.  The plan this coming week is to fit the roof frame and then the actual roof.  Then will the effort to build a model underframe to sit on the layout.  Next task after that is to fit the various downpipes, water pipes, electrical conduits and other associated details on the model.  Further updates next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment