So this week I was diligently sitting at the Kitchen table on some evenings adding more details to the next lot of 5 QR wagons for the layout, until I ran out of the particular sizes of styrene strip. So in the morning on Saturday I stopped off at two hobby shops - the third was closed, and picked up some packets of styrene at one, and another packet of 5 pairs of 12mm bogies at the other. The bogies are for my next lot of scratch built QR wagons. I then went to the Club for our monthly meeting, sausage sizzle and a natter. Yesterday afternoon after returning from the Club, I cut up the remaining pieces of styrene to make the centre sills on the wagons. Today I made up my own coupler pockets and added the top lip of the wagon sides. I then got the wagons ready for painting.
I then bit the bullet and masked up the two HOE steel carrying wagons. I then painted the insides of the wagons a mission brown colour. After that dried, I masked up the wagons again and then painted the outside of the two wagons a nice white. After another couple of hours, I sprayed some blue paint into a small cup and then used a paint brush to paint the bottom lip of wagon a blue colour. The blue paint I had is just slightly lighter that the pictures I had of the wagons.
I then painted the three HO wagons a QR grey colour. These were allowed to dry a bit, before being hit with some mission brown weathering inside the wagon. I think these turned out quite good, if I do say so myself.
So I was lucky to receive these two photos of some HOE wagons at Acacia Ridge Yard from Arthur Hayes - no doubt taken during his time working there.
Tuesday this week we are heading over to Captain Barnacle Bob’s Mosquito Creek Layout. I can’t wait as this layout just gets better each time I see it. I will take my camera this time to get some detail shots.
NMRA-X is on this coming weekend – Saturday evening to Sunday morning, and I will be giving a presentation on Sunday morning.