Saturday I went over to the Club to assist with the fixing of a short occurring on a diamond crossing from Tillig that handles the crossing of 12mm and 16.5mm track. When I got there the guys had advised that they had figured out how to wire the piece of track. When they described their method, I agreed with them that they had it correct. A bit later we tried to run a train through the track and it did not work. I think they better start from scratch and disconnect all the wires from where they are currently connected. They need to then connect one wire at a time and check with a multimeter. Sometimes it is hard to get good help.
The main reason for venturing over to the other side of the universe - sorry town, was to attend a running session at Mark's Place. His layout is called Arden Street. It is very nice and is coming along very well. It is heavily geared towards operation. It has a card system where you draw some cards and then make up various trains based on the cards up to a maximum wagon length. It is certainly a tester for the brain, both in the creation of the train list and putting the train together and then shunting that train and bringing back any returns. While it was reasonably warm in the train room, I think most of the sweat that I produced was from the brain working overtime to solve the shunting puzzles created for each operation.
Today I went down to the shed and run a narrow gauge train from Acacia Ridge to Clapham and around Clapham yard to test out the track. I have two operations sessions scheduled for this coming week. Next Saturday will have my first narrow gauge trains running. That could be a problem, as some of the dual gauge track that I scratch built around two very large curves are causing some issues. We will see.
I also ran my track cleaning train from Clapham Yard to Acacia Ridge and back, then all around Clapham Yard, then back all the way back to Grafton. It gave me no issues at all, so the track seemed to be rather clean. It must be the Wahl oil I have a been using lately, although I did give it another coating.
Everything is currently set for Wednesday's first Operations Session.
I will leave you with some photos of yesterday's successful Operating Session with Mark and Anthony at Arden Street.
Five industries are situated along this stretch of track. This is where most of the current shunting takes place. The track work is about to be slightly changed here.
I need one of these gantry cranes for Rockla Sleeper Siding. This has given me some ideas on how to build one.
The loco depot after which the layout is named.
The two other operators. Layout owner Mark on the right and fellow Mexican modeller Anthony on the left.
This time Anthony turned around for a look. He is busy writing up the next shunt for the me the pilot to take around the layout.
This is the originating yard where all trains are made up from. Apparently it is about to be widened by another maybe 2 or 3 tracks.
The industries are taking shape.
Some shunting taking place at the local flour mill. There is also the possibility that the layout will be extended off to the left out through the door, with another yard on wheels located around the corner so some mainline trains can enter and leave the layout. This will simulate locations farther west.
The harvester company has a lot of wagons in its siding. It is possible that the trackwork here may be slightly tweaked.
The diagram of the Yard.
Looking out to the main line (if you call it that) from the yard. There are even two NSWGR wagons on the layout - providing steel plate to the harvester company.
These buildings are going to look great when the are completed.
Merry Christmas everyone. I hope you enjoy some relaxing time off work, and spend it with those people that mean the most to you. Tell them how much they mean to you and just have a great time. Stay safe if you are travelling.