This weekend was quite busy in the world of Model Railways. It started off with a touch of spray painting 6 of my 40’ container flats on Saturday morning. I then cut up 6 tarpaulins and dipped them in my ink wash and let them dry. Once dry I then proceeded to fold them up for use as load on various wagons on the layout.
At just on midday – Grover and Darren came over and we headed off to HobbyOne and Austral Modelcraft for a hobby shop fix and a look around. Then we headed over to Anthony’s place for his usual 3rd weekend of the month Operating Session. There we met Brendan and Iain and of Course Anthony. It was a really good session. I ventured down to the Jameston branch and truly enjoyed myself down there running 8 trains there and another out on the mainline to help someone else out. But I think I got the good part of the timetable and didn’t have too many hard shunts. I did come a cropper a couple of times. Once I left the branch and left my guard's van back at Jameson - a very big whoops. The second issue, which was not my fault, was when Iain and I think with the help of Grover, uncoupled my train as it was heading through Tatiara Downs. I was on the other side of the layout behind the backscene, and when it came back into its resting place in the staging yard - the train control identified it was a bit short. Then all the laughing eventuated on the other side of the layout. This was the last train of the day and it was keeping everyone from after session drinks.
Today I headed down to Beenleigh and attended the Logan City Model Train Show. Who should I see there, but Darren and Grover again. Well I caught up with 4 club members there, quite a few other exhibitor friends and a few shop proprietors. I again had a blast. I was very impressed with Gary and Dennis’s QR layout. It is a real ripper. I picked up a few things – some more ballast and another of the Wuiske backdrops before they run out.
When I came home, I cut up and stained another 8 tarpaulins and then turned my attention to - how to attach the roof of my FAM to its chassis. So I am trying to glue some posts to the roof so I can then screw into these from below the model. I have drilled the three holes in the base and attached one post to the roof at this time. Two more posts to do next week. Then I can give the model a good wash and then undercoat it and then spray it silver.
I think I will also make a few more 40' foot container flats this week. I will try and seel some at out Club Buy and Sell in about three weeks.