On Saturday the fencing contractor moved in to the Bonalbo Ballast Siding. He was looking at using the pieces of florist wires that comes with the 12’ factory fencing and gates kit from Sentinel - #9700, but I realised that I only had 12 pieces of wire for the rails. That was only going to cover well less than a quarter of the fencing that needed to be done. So I thought about checking my collection of various spools of wire. I had some 28 gauge wire that was almost the same size as the wire in the kit. So I cut off three lengths of wire that will cover half the fence area that needs to be built by the fencing contractor. He was using a tube of super glue and a spray bottle filled with water. After he get annoyed that the super glue is not holding the wire on the fence posts, he hits it with a squirt of water. I understand that is basically the same concept as zip-kicker a commercial product that fires off the super glue almost immediately. Nothing like a bit of science to solve your modelling problems.
So after the first day the contractor had laid the three rails for half the fence's length. The contractor has also cut three more lengths of 28 gauge wire to complete the fence. These will be applied maybe early next week. I have Monday off to attend the School Cross Country Carnival in the morning. I can already hear the shed calling me in the afternoon to allow the fencing contractor to finish the rails for the second half of the fence.
Later on Saturday afternoon I unravelled two lengths of the supplied white tulle that comes with the kit to represents the fencing wire. I took those outside the shed and fired up the spray can of grey primer and hit the white tulle with the grey paint. Later on I found a third length of tulle that I will need in order to complete the fence, but by that time I couldn’t be bothered to get the spray can back out again after the previous wash up and pack up.
Today after attending the Christening of one of my great nieces and one of my great nephews and having a great time catching up with all my nieces and nephews and their kids and their friends, I decided to hit the shed around 4:30pm this arvo upon arriving home. I decided that the fencing contractor needed to install a few rolls of fencing wire around about 7/8th of the fence that has already been completed with rails. To attach the wire to the rails I was using white glue. It dries clear (that's an advantage) and I can probably easily be remove it if I had to. Also I think it can get quite tacky when left to dry slightly before adding the wire (Tulle) and this makes it quite easy to use for attaching the wire to the fence rails.
Here are some photos of the fencing contactor's efforts. His services are quite cheap. I didn't pay him!
The fence near the railway gate. The rails of the first panel has not been attached to the first post yet and the wire is also yet to be attached to the rails on this panel. This is because I do not yet decide how I will mount the swinging gates.
A view down along the fence line. You can still see the white glue in some places on the fence wire as it has not yet dried. Some of the tools of the trade as used by the fencing contractor can be seen behind the fence.
A close up view of the fence as the fencing wire dries on the rails.