Sunday, May 19, 2024

Signal Box Progression and Great Day at Buy and Sell

On last Sunday evening I created a bit of a to-do task list for this week's modelling activities.  So on Monday morning I started down that road.  I cut up some styrene to form a fence that can be taken to the Club for installation on the top deck.  It is about 35cm long.  It was painted silver to look like galvanised iron and then some fine mesh wrapping was used to simulate the wire of the fence.  Some black electrical tape was stuck onto the fine mesh to simulate the metal sheet that is installed at the top of the fence to stop animals like koalas climbing over it.  It was then all glued together.  We will see how well it comes up.  PK, took the fence from me on Tuesday evening as he usually attends the Club on Wednesday.  However, when I got to the Club today, I forgot to look for or even ask anyone if the fence has been delivered, let along installed.  Doh!

On Monday evening, I started making the 15 levers for the interlocking frame for Kyogle signal box.  Tuesday morning these were cut to a reasonable length and then painted black.  I had planned to I pick out the levers various colours to simulate their correct colour in the signal box for signals, point locks, point control and spare levers.  However, I never got around to that task.

Tuesday evening was our get together at Shelton's place.  I hadn't seen his since last year.  A very good informative meeting.  Shelton had installed a reversing loop on his layout.  I think he needs to install a second to swap back direction again.

Later in the week, I did however paint the floor of my Kyogle signal box.  I also painted the walls.  I then added some shelves and started down the path of populating the signal box.  I made a fridge and installed that.  I already had two tables and two chairs already made, for this exact type of project.  So they were glued down inside the signal box.  I added two shelves to the wall.  I also drew up a bit of a track plan to go above one of the shelves, so the signaller could throw the correct levers in the correct order.  I also installed two staff machines that I had around already painted up.  I also had some filing cabinets laying around.  So I added one of those to the corner of the room as well.  I also made up an esky with a metal handle.  That has also been installed.  The door and windows have just been press fitted.  The windows need a paint and the door, a second coat of paint.  I had an OO scale railway worker that I purchased last year in Newcastle.  But this giant of a man is taller than the HO door.  Bugger!

Looking towards the platform side of the signal box.  Two red staff machines.  fridge on the right.  Table and chair on the left.

Looking from the platform side.  The signal diagram on the rear wall.  Filing cabinet on the right.  Esky next that.  Another table and chair on the left.

I then had a few photos of inside a NSW signal box come into my facebook feed, and I needed to install a few other items.  Like a sink, some phones on the wall and also a wall clock, calendar, jug, coffee cup, train register book, staff hoops, pen and paper and so on.  I might also try a fan and a heater, but I think these might to hard to make out of styrene.  I would also like to install a jacket over the back of a chair, but don't know what to make it out of.  Any suggestions?

Saturday we went to the local NMRA meeting at Garry’s business.  What an absolute cracker of a day.  Great presentations, great laughs and nice food.  They keep picking on me!  When I got home I had to head off to an engagement party with the wife’s family.  Another great evening.  But no rest for the wicked.  I had to be up early and head over to the Club for our Buy and Sell.  I sold some quantity of items, and then put that revenue to good use.  I picked up a bundle of track and got 6 sets of 12mm points and various lengths of flex track.  I also picked up a Powercab for $100.  I’ve checked it out and it works as a Procab and that is all I need.  Now I just need to install a radio card in it.  Just before I left I picked up a 12mm mobil oil tanker for $10 (no wheels) from the Loves.  I can fix the no wheel issue.  I also picked up a set of level frames to replace my hand made ones I made earlier in the week.  These levers have the release grips on each of the levers, mine do not.  But this frame is too big.  So I will have to cut it down in size.  I made $13 out of the day, so I am ecstatic following my wins.

So I might need to do a catch up on some of the items from last week’s to-do list, this week.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment