Sunday, March 5, 2023

Detailing Some QR QGA Wagons

On Saturday this week, I sat at my computer working on the code for my Arduino for quite some time.  This was to cram three different functions into the one Arduino.  First function was to standard on-off flash of a buoy on Barnacle Bob’s brilliant Mosquito Creek layout.  The second function was to provide the 'Shelton the Photographer' flash for a DC powered layout.  I got this working.  The next function was to make a single street light flash on the layout.  When a string of street lights was turned on around the layout, the Arduino will sense this through an Opto-isolator interfacing with the circuit powering those street lights.  This will then make the Arduino flash another street light, that makes it look like it is faulty.  When the street lights are turned off, so to does the flashing light controlled by the Arduino.  I will now make up a small control board that will house all the electronics needed to interface with the Arduino and drive these functions.  I have a circuit diagram, I just need to buy a few items and solder them all together.  Next stop is Barnacle's to install it.

This work was followed by a chat with Marty for a couple of hours on Discord.  We were joined by our Supreme Leader – Gordy – very early in the morning his time.  A couple of hours later we were all online together listening to the British Region have their fortnightly Brew and Natter.  A few Div 1 people also get on and listen to this event.  Although this time, the main subject was Adam Wuiske talking about his layout, which has started to be created in his shed.

Today I decided that I was to spend some time adding detail to a couple of wagons that I was to enter into an upcoming NMRA modelling competition.  These entries could be used as two of the 8 models I need for my AP Cars certificate.  I had previously built, painted and weathered two PGC kits of the Queensland Railway QGA wagons.  Today I added brake pipes at each end to two wagons, and also some pipework down the length of the wagon for the brake pipe as well as the brake cylinder actuator.  I am also looking at doing some uncoupling levers.  But that is next week’s job.

Bit by bit, I have also been adding some extra detail to my NMRA Convention presentation for September/October this year.  Still a few photos to add, but it is coming along early.  It has a few jokes in it, so hopefully, this will keep the attendees at the presentation awake during delivery, especially if it is toward the end of the day or after lunch.

Next week we will be heading to Darren’s place for our Tuesday Nighter's get together.  He does live in the boonies, but given he can’t drive at the moment, it is easier for him to host us than for him to travel to a meeting.  In two week’s time, he might be back driving again, so he can then attend someone else’s meeting in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment