Sunday, September 26, 2021

The Mountain Men Visited

On Tuesday this week we all assembled at Barnacle Bob’s place for our fortnightly Tuesday night get together.  We were all interested in seeing what new features Bob had implemented on Mosquito Creek.  There is always lots of little tweaks and occasionally new scenes to admire.  More on that later as I will post some photos from that evening.

On Friday I went down to the shed and did a bit of a tidy up.  I took the Peco track rubber to the track and managed to remove lots of glue and paint from the rails from a considerable number of locations on the layout.  The reason was that I did a considerable amount of scenery work across a number of locations on the layout over the last few months.  I however did not run any trains, and in particular my track cleaning train.  My track cleaning train is made up of two wagons with a metal weight with a chucks wipe rolled around the weight, and it semi spins in the middle of the wagon and does clean a lot of muck off the track.

The Mountain Men, Bill and Steve came down from Toowoomba on Saturday morning and were joined by Darren, Geoff and Brendan at my place around 10:00am.  This was the first visit for Steve and the first in quite a while for Bill.  I think even Darren, Geoff and Brendan saw some new scenes.  In particular some updates to my Park Road Trans-shipment Shed, complete with working lights and junk scattered in and around it.  I also showed off some A4 printed photos that PK stitched together for me.  A couple of years ago, we visited Glenapp signal box and had a talk to Rob and Den on a Saturday afternoon.  While there I took a series of photos of the mountain backdrop behind the crossing loop.  So now I am trying to use it.  I printed a series of the photos myself, and stuck them together end-to-end but they were not going together too well.  Differnet heights where they joined etc.  So I called for the help of an expert.  But one was not available, so I got PK instead to use his magic to stitch the photos together with his programs and then I printed them in a number of combinations, landscape, portait, etc.

PK's efforts in stitching my photos together

Today after watching the last session the NMRA-X online, and having a talk in the chat room, and then watching the NMRA Awards Show, I finally got down to the shed.  I decided to loop some wire around the four gates in the Lismore Gas Siding, and tied the gates to the adjacent fencepost.  This technique allows the gates to swing.  Next task was to apply white glue to the posts and rails of the front side fence of the Lismore Gas Siding.  I then place some painted tuile on the glue and let it dry.

The next task was to then take some of the stitched together versions and cut them down to remove the white boundaries on the printed A4 page, tape them together and attached them to the wall of the shed behind Glenapp Crossing Loop.  I then added another version of the photos to the end of the first multi page print and it sort of goes together and does not look too much out of place.  However, someone really looking at the scene will identify that this is not one continuous print.  I was most impressed with the end result.

And just because I can, I will post a series of photos from Bob's Mosquito Creek from Tuesday Night.

Sawmill with a blackboard outside the office

A couple of tree loppers after they got stuck into a tree

Koala running across the road

A load of ballast being dumped

The gate to the grain terminal.  The card swipes on either side of the gate are fantastic.

A gate onto the railway property.

Pigeons having a feed.

A humpy with an incinerator and a pot belly stove.  On top of the stove is a stove top kettle and a frypan with bacon and eggs cooking in it

The cement truck doing a concrete pour.  The bowl even rotates

The mangroves beside the creek.

The car that drove off the jetty is being retrieved.  

The undertakers are ready to take possession of the body. when it is removed from the car

The local pub getting a delivery of a keg or a dozen.

The local funeral home, I Burium Funerals.

A few bin chickens.  The future mascot for the 2032 Brisbane Olympic Games - Barry the bin chicken.

Bush turkeys

A local service station, with air and water for the locals.

This post is early today as I will be a little worse for wear tonight after some birthday drinks this arvo.  So better safe than sorry.

1 comment:

  1. I think PK has nailed the Border Ranges backdrop, and Mosquito Creek gets more details everytime you photograph it Craig.

    ReplyDelete