Sunday, September 19, 2021

Lismore Speed-e-gas Facility

On Friday afternoon I started cutting out a number of railway speed signs and supergluing these to a wire post.  Saturday this week I picked up a tin of paint at the local hobby shop and came home and painted my flying pig from Miniprints.  It turned out OK.  I then installed just two of the numerous speed signs that I made.  The two that got installed were put at Border Loop, and I also installed three small trees near the Signalman’s house.  Next task was to add tuile as chain wire to 9 adjustable/moveable gates in various chain wire fences on the layout.  I measured up a piece of tuile and cut it out.  I then applied aquadhere to the styrene gates and stuck the tuile to the gates.  Next step was to drill some holes in the ground to finish installing the split post and rail fence from Baker’s Farm to the Rocla Sleeper Siding.

On Thursday this week my AMRM magazine arrived in the mail.  Upon scanning through the pages, I saw an article on a Gas unloading facility.  It made me want to revisit my gas unloading facility at Lismore.  When I looked at my structure, I realised that it had not been painted.  So that changed on Saturday.  My unloading facility did not yet have a fence around it.  So that also changed.  I found 4 styrene gates that I had made up many years ago, and installed them on the front and back of the unloading facility.  I also went looking for some spare 10’ high chain wire fence posts.  I found some white metal ones from a kit.  But I would normally make my own from 1.2mm or 1.6mm styrene rod, which I bend into shape and paint silver for making it look like galvanised steel.  I added the rails made from styrene painted grey, which had been sitting in the Rocla Sleeper Siding for a number of years and were excess to that area's fencing needs.

Today I added chain wire (Tuile) to 4 more gates.  I installed about 13 fence posts around the Lismore gas unloading structure.  I also spread a bit of scenery and ballast around the gas unloading areas and the areas towards the Murwillumbah end of the station yard.  I still have some more ballasting and a small amount of scenery to complete the area behind Lismore station.  A task that I need to complete, maybe during the week, or even next Friday evening, is to install the wire on the fence around the Lismore gas unloading structure.  I also need to use a fine amount of wire to tie the top of the swinging gate to the nearby post, so that the gates actually can be opened and closed to protect the unloading wagon.  All my gates in various sidings around the layout are operable.  I will then need to find some signs to put on the gates for when the wagon is there and unloading.  I also had had to go looking for a wagon to use as match truck, to allow the loco to place the gas wagon into the correct location without the loco entering the actual siding.  I found an old scratchbuilt NOCY that I made many years ago.  For now that will do.  I realised that I might have to locate an uncoupling magnet between the rails in this location so the gas wagon can be placed in the compound and the match truck can then be withdrawn and gates closed in the siding.  The loco can then find another track in the yard to stable on.

The Lismore gas facility with the fence around it and gates at either end

The installed scenery behind the tracks

Lismore Oil Siding taken from the southern end.  The gates here received wire.

At the opposite end of the Lismore oil Siding.  One of the gates received wire.

One gate at the Old Cassino Oil Siding also received chain wire.

I then went around and started painting the rail on a few lengths of track around the layout. 

The track at Cassino which had a really bad purple tinge to it was painted brown.

The track leading into Cassino was also painted brown to hide the original purple tinge.

Glenapp has a bit of a back scene.

The Risk also has a bit of a back scene.

Next Friday I might have to clean the track so that the layout is runnable next weekend when the ‘mountain men’ arrive down from Toowoomba for a meeting of the local guys and the guys from Toowoomba.  I have done so much scenery over the last few months that there will be that much glue, paint and scenicing material that has found its way onto the rails it will take some time to get the layout all running again.

No comments:

Post a Comment