Sunday, October 18, 2020

Level Crossing Work and Clothes Lines

This weekend I didn’t do much model railway related activity.  However, on Saturday I went to a Buy and Sell event at the AMRA clubrooms on the northside of Brisbane at Zillmere.  I parked at PK’s and then we walked around the corner.  We queued up at the entrance to the site and recorded our details to be Covid safe.  There were quite a few sellers and lots of items but there was nothing there that floated my boat, but I saw quite a few people purchasing items, particularly some of our Club members.  I caught up with quite a few people to say G’day to.  But I ended up spending no money at all.  That had to be a first.

When I got home, I did some modelling during the afternoon.  I sat at the kitchen table and watched some Bathurst activity and started building a string of another 26 pallets.  I ran out of 0.030” x 0.040” styrene strip.  Actually I needed about 7 lengths of 13.5mm 0.030” x 0.040” styrene to complete the 26 pallets.  I thought I had more of that in my collection.  Damn.  I should have checked that out before I came home from the other side of the city, and I should have popped into the hobby shops on the way home and picked up another packet of it.  If I had, I could have made another 50 pallets today.  That is what stopped me.

Later in the afternoon on Saturday, I did some work on installing the various fencing I had made for the Lismore level crossing.  I am quite happy with the outcome.

The level crossing outside Lismore

Close up of one corner

Close up of the second corner

Close up of the third corner

Close up of the last corner

Today struggling to get any modelling motivation due to the Brisbane Lions losing last night in the AFL and also watching Bathurst today along with the Bledisloe Cup on split screen on my TV, I decided to just make 10 clothes lines to do something.  When at the Buy and Sell yesterday, I saw someone selling one of my clothes lines in HO scale for $10.  It had one of the bracings missing on one of the clothes line arms.  I sell complete ones for less than that.

So the plan is to paint the 10 clothes lines next weekend so I can sell some at the RMCQ Buy and Sell on the Sunday  1st of November.  I will have a lot of detail items available for sale.

The Risk Signal Box with gas bottles out the back.  It still needs some shrubbery added.

More Fettlers

The barrier above the tunnel from North Street below.  This is in Cassino Yard.

The worksite now has witch's hats protecting the work area and the two cars now have P and L plates attached.  One car also has a CB aerial.

Border Loop Signal Box (unpainted) with two signalman and a baby bird in the nest

Border Loop Signal Box close up.

A mate of mine, Greg, has 3D printed a NSW Staff machine.  I can't wait to get a few to paint  up and put them inside my signal boxes.  They will look so much better when Greg 3D prints the staffs and then has the section name stencilled on the staff body!  Hehehe

3D printed staff machine - by Greg

2 comments:

  1. That minature staff machine, and pedestal looks excellent. Do you know if Greg is going to make them commercially? You will need 40 staffs per pair of machines - but you might be able to mock up with just some pins in the slots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are telling Greg to print some out and take them to our Club's Buy and Sell in Brendale on Sunday week. We will try and get him to print some and we will take them to Aurora Trains in Brisbane (he does mail order) and they might be sold in pairs there is a few weeks. George at Aurora normally posts on his Facebook page when he gets new items like that in. So keep an eye out.
    Craig

    ReplyDelete