Sunday, October 4, 2020

Inspiration Through Photos

Well for the first time in a number of weeks, I did get around and start and complete at least one of the tasks I had planned to do this weekend.  I added the road makings to the road around Lismore.  This is just outside the Lismore Shell oil Siding.  I also drilled a hole for gates on the entry to the oil facility to be installed.  The road markings are made from 0.010” x 0.030” and 0.010” x 0.040” styrene strip to the road around Lismore. 

On Saturday morning I purchased a packet of 8 sugar boxes to be used as load on my scratch built QR wagons.  I split this haul with one of the Tuesday Nighters – Barnacle Bob, so 4 boxes will be added to one wagon.  I assembled and painted my four sugar boxes today.  I also got around to painting 4 Wuiske cement containers that I assembled last weekend. 

On Saturday arvo I had a visit from Greg from NMRA Div 1 as he was asking some questions about his control panel that he is constructing.  It looks very nice indeed.  I also attended an online zoom forum which was very informative.

Today I was also completing some sheds that I need to deploy around the layout.  I was adding some corrugated aluminium to some blocks of wood to complete the sheds.  The four that I have completed will most probably be painted tomorrow.

So I happened to move a few items on my work bench in the shed and low and behold, there was a packet of styrene 0.010” x 0.040”.  The things you find in my shed. I didn't know I had that there.  I might have to have a closer look tomorrow to see what else I can find.

I must admit that I was totally blown away by the 20 odd photos posted on the Auscision website on Saturday morning.  Truly fantastic modelling.  They must be the best shots I have seen of a layout for quite some time.  It is certainly possible to learn lots of things from studying those photos and to be inspired by them. 

Some things that stand out:-

- I immediately want to add some TW’s to one or both of my road over rail bridges on the layout

- Also a red P plate on some of my layout vehicles

- I also want an orange XD falcon

- The lack of paint on the gatekeepers house next to the railway line is fantastic, as my grandfather's house looked just like that about 40 years ago when I was growing up

- The level crossing detail is fantastic

- The fettler’s scene is magic

- The fuel siding looks great with the weathering

Well these fantastic photos have forced me to look at adding even more detail in a couple of places on my layout.  I will do some of that tomorrow.

Starting tonight I plan to put together the next 48 of my 44 gallon drums and maybe make another 26 pallets.  I might get around to painting some of these tomorrow.  My set of FAMs will hopefully be arriving on Tuesday so I will probably spend next Friday adjusting the bogies on them to run on my heavily graded layout, with all my changes of gradient.  Now I need to remember what I did to my previous Auscision RUB and sleeper wagons.

No comments:

Post a Comment