Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Best Laid Plans ....


This weekend I had plans on what I was going to achieve.  I did basically none of those tasks.  I was going to do some more work on the Cassino Station Overbridge.  Never got to it.  I was to do some detail work around the yard on one of the houses in Canterbury Street.  Never got to it.  I did want to spend some time working on controlling a servo with one of my Arduinos.  Never got to it.  I was to continue work on trying to create a string of party lights out of micro LEDs.  For this I did some work on Friday afternoon, and that was where it ended.  I did want to put together a few extra street signs.  I cut them up before lunch today, and maybe tonight while watching TV I might add some posts to the signs.  So this might eventually get completed this weekend.

However last night I did some work with my test Arduino.  I am testing the controlling of various light flashes.  I am trying to create a dance party in a local hall which will be surrounded by lots of drunk model people.  The hall with have a set of random flashing lights going off inside the hall, which people looking at the layout will be able to see.  What will also occur is that the hall will have an MP3 player located underneath it with a small speaker.  So those walking past will also be able to hear the big booze up party.  But my MP3 player has not turned up as yet.  Earlier in the week, I was experimenting with controlling some blue flashing lights for my local police car.  It will be positioned down the road from the large hall party.  It's blue lights will randomly come on occasionally to pull over some locals for a RBT.

I did visit George’s shop early on Saturday morning and got some advice about packaging up one of my Level Crossing kits (for single track) for sale at his shop.  Later that morning Barnacle Bob visited my place and left with his own Arduino and some styrene detail models for him to assist with adding yet more detail to his fantastic layout.  Later on I went to Bunnings and purchased some wood to make a little diorama, which will be used to display my level crossing kit.  So this diorama can sit in George's shop and show people how it works.  So today with the help of my apprentice, I got the various bench saws out of the shed and cut up some wood and made a display box.  I gave it a paint, fitted the track and the detectors and then some level crossing lights (provided by George) and then did some scenery on the board. 

Now if Australia Post played nice, I would have had some more IR detectors available and some additional Arduinos delivered on Friday so I could have potentially had the level crossing module working today.  But now I need to wait for my various packages to arrive and then find some time off work to put it all together. 

Here is what it looks like so far.
The new display module with glue drying on the ballast

1 comment: