Sunday, April 19, 2020

The Great Plans Come to Nothing


This weekend I had planed to try and build the Kyogle Station building.  I read somewhere in an article on Kyogle that the station building was an A3 model.  I can tell you it certainly was not.  If only I studied the plans a bit more as I have them in a NSW book of all the A Series stations in a bit more detail.  I thought that the A3 Skillion roofed building might have been different to the A3 Standard Design version, as my A3 standard plan was not what Kyogle looked like.  But upon closer investigation the A4 version is a closer starting point.  The station building at Kyogle looks like it has had additions made to a standard A4 Skillion Roofed Station building at each end of the building.  These additions are quite evident in the close up photos I have which show a larger board size on the additions compared to the original building's construction.  It is obvious on both the front and back photos of the building.

I went through my styrene collection and found some 1.5mm spaced styrene grooves to represent the weatherboard sizes for the original building.  Unfortunately I could not get a version that had 1.8mm spaced grooves.  The next size up is 2mm.  I think I can fudge the different board spacing via other methods.

Anyway, my weekend building activities started when I was able to obtain a copy of the A4 plan off my mate Cliff.  I already had original A1, A2 and A8 station building Data Sheet plans, but no A3 and A4 station buildings.

My intention was to complete the building by today.  However, the best laid plans always get thrown to the wind.  I instead had to do some other planning for my son doing home schooling from this week, with the dining room table being mostly cleared of my modelling junk.  I had being leaving boxes of modelling projects on the table over the last few years.  I’m sure the boss is now pleased the table is now clear, except that my son will now take up residence from tomorrow for at least 5 weeks.  I also set up a wifi extender out into the shed.  So I can now run a Skype session from the shed if I so choose to.  I might try to run this week's team meeting for work from that location.

Anyway, today, I at least cut out the sides of the station building and marked up where the doors and window opening are to go.  I still have to cut the openings out.  As the plans do not show the extensions at either end, I have to scale off the photos that I have in my possession for this unknown bits.  Hopefully by next weekend I will have a basic box assembled.

My future plans are to also get around to actually painting the various other scratch built station buildings I have laying around the layout when I am ready to paint this building.  Maybe the week after.

No comments:

Post a Comment