Sunday, June 30, 2024

Ops Session Wrap

On Monday I sat at the kitchen table and set about installed LED’s into Kyogle Signal box and then connecting the wires up to a plug.  The plug was then wired out the other side, to the Arduino, and the other side via a switch, which was later cut into the layout fascia so these lights can be turned on or off separately.  Later, while I was cutting a hole in the baseboard underneath the signal box, I realised that a small fettler’s shed next to the Kyogle Platform, which I had picked up at a Buy and Sell, had lights installed inside.  So I also ran wires from that shed to the Arduino and I tested them and they are working as well.

On Tuesday I had Anatol visit and drop off some 12mm track that he purchased and I repurchased off him.  It contained about 6 sets of 12mm points, so it was a bargain.  Tuesday evening was Tuesday Nighters.  Eight (8) of us got together of Geoff’s place.  We can only have a get together at his place during school holidays as his wee small kids would be disrupted in their bedtime routines during school days.  I purchased a QR destination board from Darren that used to be fitted to the QR Diesel hauled passenger trains around the suburban network.  It works, and it has internal lighting.  I will have to ask some questions as to how it is wired, and what voltage is required.



Wednesday being the day before I went back to work, was not occupied by much modelling related activities.  Although I did glue the fence posts onto the Kyogle platform and did some maintenance to one of the under platform support structures.  A total of all of 5-10 minutes work.  I also did clean up the kitchen table a bit and put a few things away in storage bins.

Saturday this week I did nothing.  The day was interrupted by the boss wanting to through our existing lounge out at the upcoming council cleanup, and then go looking for a new one.  So we spent a few hours trawling through the shops.  I am still stuffing around with the lights for Kyogle platform.

Today I had the pleasure of heading over to Anthony’s Ops Session.  These are great days.  There was 7 of us there.  I was SAR#1.  I had two easy as jobs running from Kybybolite to Tatiara Down with a freight, and then with the Overland passenger from Tatiara Downs back to Kybybolite again.  There was also shunting the freight at Tatiara Down.  The third train was a freight from Kybybolite to Tatiara Down, with some wagons dropped off and more added, and then to Border Junction and then onto Jameston.  OMG!  My brain was stretched to the limits.  I had about 8 wagons onboard.  I had to pick up about another 8 wagons.  The wagons needed to be picked up and placed on a couple of team tracks.  Just remembering where everything was to go back to.  It took me hours.  But I finally got the freight train back off the branch and into Tatiara Down.  Dropping some wagons, and picking up a lot more.  Then I had to run back to Kybyolite and stable the train.  I still have 2 trains to run, when time was called on the session.  This was the 54th session that Anthony has run and this one was apparently my 25th attendance.  There are about 4 crew in front of me in terms of attendance proficiency, and of course the host has attended all 54 sessions.

 A view of Nankiva.

The headshunt end of Nankiva.

A view of a section of Kybyolite Staging.  In the distance we can see the Border Junction location.

Another view of Nankiva.

One of the Silos at Tatiara Downs.  

Some of the industries at Tatiara Downs.

More industries,

One of the teams tracks at Jameston.

I great end to a week.  Back to work for a couple of days and then back on the tools working on my Armidale presentation.

1 comment:

  1. Harsh on yourself, Mr Mackie! By my count, it wasn't 'hours' you took, merely an hour and a half. Also, the main station is Tatiara Downs (not Down - though you've used both?). Some great pictures - thanks for taking them, sharing them on your blog - and for continuing to be part of the Border District story!

    ReplyDelete