Sunday, January 8, 2023

Electrical Fixes

This weekend was a rather quiet weekend mostly spent watching the cricket on TV, and trying to track down some electrical gremlins.  I removed all the headset plug in points and inspected the wiring behind the panels.  I found one panel to have some wires touching.  So after firing up the headset system post fixing this panel, it magically fired up and did not short.  So let's call that now fixed.  But it perplexes me how plugging in and unplugging a set of headphones (even with a bit of force) caused those wires to touch behind the panel.  Anyway that problem seems to be solved, however there is still a buzz through the headsets.

The other task was to work out why there seems to be a fault behind my panel for all the meters on the layout.  I got under and behind the panel and identified where the loose wire came off from and that allowed me to fix the layout voltmeter.  However, my layout ammeter is not working.  It seems to be going in reverse if anything.  So I think it has died.  I will have to purchase a new one, and replace the current ammeter and see how that goes at fixing the issue.  I could not find any issues behind the panel.  

I also installed two gas bottles at each signal box around the layout, Fairy Hill, Glenapp and Border Loop, as well as two more for the signalman’s house at Border Loop.

I also got around to planting some trees behind Fairy Hill Loop Signal Box and installed a few more labels at particular locations on the layout.  These were installed on the layout fascias. 

My next task is to jump back onto completing the Kyogle Station building.  That must be over a year since I last worked on that project.  Once that is completed, I can then start work on the Cassino Station building that I promised twelve months ago I was going to build last year.

3 comments: