Sunday, June 20, 2021

Installing Shelving

Tuesday night this week, we visit Arthur’s place and checked out the fantastic work he has done on some QR oil pots in particular.  We are always amazed as to what work Arthur has been up to and the finish is just brilliant.  PK brought along some Panel Liner and gave a presentation on how he lines a QR ALY wagon - from Arthur's collection.  What really cracked us up, was that PK had done this same process to some of his wagons - I assume 4 of them, but this was the first time that he realised that the doors on this wagon opened.  This amused us all for quite a time.  PK - what would be do with out you?  At least we would not be as entertained as we were on Tuesday night - hehehe! 

Saturday morning I went for a tour of the hobby shops as it had been some time since I had visited them.  I picked up a number of things that I probably didn’t need but they looked good, so they have been added to my To Do list.  After lunch, I retired to the shed and decided to bite the bullet and install some shelving (that had been sitting on the ground behind my dispatcher’s desk for a few weeks now).  These two shelves were to go above my workbench to give me some more storage space in the shed.  So up the ladder, and I screwed the first 1800mm shelf in place hard up against the corner of the shed.  I then added another 1200mm shelf at right angles to the first shelf.  Just like a bought one.  I was then troubled for the rest of the afternoon, thinking about where else I could locate some more shelf space.  I was thinking about adding more shelves above Cassino (actually above the track from Loco Pilly to Dutton Park, as well as some above Clapham Yard, and also some above Acacia Ridge Yard.

So after some more consideration on Sunday morning, I went back down to Bunnings and bought another 3 x 1800mm lengths of shelving and some more brackets to hang them from the walls.  So with the help of my apprentice for about half an hour, I then put two more shelves above Loco Pilly running towards Dutton Park, and then decided to take a break and do some more blue sky board painting between the newly installed shelves and the track about 600mm below.  After lunch I went back to the shed and installed the last shelf above Clapham Yard on the southern end.  The shed’s air conditioner is above the northern end of Clapham Yard.

I have now been able to move most of my pre-purchased commercial - yet to be installed trees and pre-made twisted trees - made by me and mates, above the Loco Pilly area.

What I have realised following this shelving work undertaken this weekend is that I need above another half a dozen clear plastic tubs with lids to consolidate a number of items into the containers and place them on the shelves.  Clear tubs will allow me to see what is in the tubs.

Later this afternoon I adjourned to the kitchen table and added bogies to four wagons, 2 x NSW Cement Wagons and 2 x 12mm QR QGA wheat wagons.  I also added KD’s to one of the NSW Cement Wagon that did not have them.  I still need to add some KDs to the QGA wagons.  I then made up about 8 loads of steel rod (bound together with wire ties) for my steel wagons.  These will be hit with some grey paint next weekend.  In between these activities, I painted up about 18 tea bags, with yellow and green paint.  These will be cut into standard sized - 24' x 16' tarpaulins - you get two per tea bag, and eventually rolled up and tied with cotton.  These go down a treat with one of the local hobby shop - Modeller's Warehouse selling them.

So overall I constructive weekend was had.  Next Saturday is the NMRA meeting at John Kennedy’s place, so I will not be doing any modelling next Saturday.  I need to do some planning in the lead up to the following NMRA meeting which is at my place in July.  I haven't run a train on the layout for months.  Might have to clean the track first.

1 comment:

  1. I’ve desired to post about something similar to this on one of my blogs and this has given me an idea. Cool Mat.
    House Renovations in Clapham,

    ReplyDelete