Sunday, September 6, 2020

Still Feeling Fenced in

Well this weekend started with a visit to the local hobby shop on Friday afternoon.  I picked up Geoff on the way and we both had a browse and picked up an item or two.  Next stop was at Barnacle Bobs.  Bob was installing one of my level crossing kits and had run into some trouble.  But it seems that some of his wires may have been crossed somewhere.  So I unplugged them, traced them back and plugged them back in.  One by one, I got his 5 IR detectors working.  Next task was to look at his level crossing lights.  His were from his old Wacol layout, and these were controlled by a module that just alternated the polarity on the wires to the lights and the two LEDs were wired back to back.  This was not what the level crossing kit was set up to handle.  But all I needed to do was to take the wire that Bob had wired to the common, and wired that to the alternate flashing output.  This meant that the two wires from each LED flashing pair, were just wired to pins 9 and 10 (for one light post) and pins 11 and 12 (for the second flashing light post).  Well, that worked and Bob's crossing setup now works just like a bought one.  Well he did buy it from me!

Again another two games of soccer yesterday and then I was able to get down to the shed and did some more pottering around.  I decided to plant about twenty telegraph poles around the middle deck of the layout, around The Risk and Glenapp crossing loops.  These had been laying on their side on the layout for quite some time.  Now they are installed.  I also added quite a few animals around the layout in various scenes.  I purchased these from Casula Hobbies a few weeks back.

Some telegraph poles at Glenapp Crossing Loop

More telegraph poles at The Risk

Dingoes near Cougal Spiral

Some horses near a fettler's camp

A kangaroo going for a run

Some wallabies near Border Loop

Today I did some more work on the houses backing onto the station at Cassino.  Firstly I added a few people.  I found some in my various spares boxes.  So we now have a couple of guys shoveling sand for the cement mixer.  I also have three people on the roof of the shed out the back and they are attempting to fit guttering to the shed.  Well that is what I am trying to portray.  I did some more work making some additional wire fencing and gates for a few houses, and even fitted chain wire to the gates and the fence segments.  I also installed the various wooden fences to some other houses.  One of the next bits of work will be to weather some of these wooden fences to indicate the age of the various fences.  Another task that I did was add some box trailers to a couple of properties that back onto the railway line. 

More traffic signs near Cassino overhead booking office

Canterbury Street house with workers and new gates.

A trailer in the back yard

Workers on the roof adding guttering to the train shed.

The worker on the roof from a different angle and showing the trailer in the neighbour's back yard.

The other house in Canterbury Street now has a gate.

The house in Convent Lane also has a gate

North Street house has fences glued in.

The fencing at the end of North Street was installed and the walkway made operational.

The other house in North Street with wooden fencing installed all around.

The house that sits in Wiangaree street also has fencing.

During the week, I was talking to Greg (our resident 3D printing guru) and he found and modified a 3D print for a cement mixer.  So I await with much eagerness for when I can catch up with him and get his print and then bring it home and assemble it.  After a paint, it will then sit pride of place outside my Canterbury Street house.

The next task is plan for the various houses in these Cassino properties that I have now fenced off.  I will also use my imagination as to what other detail scenes can be added to these various houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment