Sunday, March 15, 2020

Loads of Fun


I came down with a cold early this week, and to save my fellow Tuesday NIghter mates from catching it, and from me being receiving the brunt of Coronavirus jokes, I did not attend our get together this week.  I believe Arthur had another train load of newly scratch built QR wagons on display.  What a Guru this guy is!

On Saturday this week, I made my way via a local Hobby Shop to the Club for our monthly meeting.  I picked up some decoders for the Club and some styrene for me.  The Club was almost deserted.  By meeting time, maybe half the normal numbers were in attendance.  Maybe the others were queuing for dunny roles a local shopping centre somewhere? 

Today I got my styrene out and cut up some ‘I’ and ‘H’ beams – enough for 4 wagon loads, and then gave them a paint.  My next task was building some bundles of steel bar loads from 0.040” styrene rod.  I made 10 of these bundles, and gave them a paint.  I then decided to make two 4 x 4 bundles of square steel posts ifrom 0.040” x 0.040” styrene strip.  The inside bars of the bundles were only visible on the ends, to same a small amount of styrene strip.  These were also painted up.

A task next week, is to paint the ends of the steel bar and steel posts a different colour.  This was used to identify the size of the steel item when in racks in a yard.  Me, being the smart fella I am, I used up all the 0.040” x 0.040” styrene strip I had on these bundles before realising that I was using it for my 4” x 4” dunnage between the various styrene steel loads.  Whoops!  What a dork!  Oh well, that just means another trip to the hobby shop next Saturday for some more styrene so I can continue on my load making quest.  I can then make some more dunnage and then paint it a wood colour and that will allow me to assemble the loads for eventual resale.

However, it appears that the next few model railway exhibitions in Queensland in March and May this year have already been cancelled.  So that now raises the question, what will happen to the model railway convention in Sydney and the Rosehill Model Railway Exhibition in June that I was attending?

1 comment:

  1. "Queuing for dunny roles", that'd be a pretty shit part to play mate....

    ReplyDelete