Sunday, September 1, 2019

Loads of Fun

On Friday evening, I started assembling some more 44 gallon drums for use on various modelling projects.  These will be painted a number of colours.  Previously I have painted my drums a simple silver colour.  The next lot will be black, white and dark blue.  My plan for the week, is to assemble another 40 or so drums and these will be painted green, red, and combinations of colours next weekend.

On Saturday I got chauffeured around by my daughter while I was giving her some driving lessons.  So I put the driving to good use and I made my way to two hobby shops.  She read a book in the car while I was inside the hobby shops.  At Austral Modelcraft I picked up some styrene, and then made my way over to Aurora Trains.  While there I picked up some spray cans of paint, and also dropped off some loads of drums on standard pallets for George to sell in his shop.  He has already placed them on his Facebook feed.  I think these make nice scenic detail items, or might contribute to a load for an open wagon.

On Saturday afternoon while listening to the footy on the radio, I started assembling the first strings of pallets.  I wrote an article back in April 2005 in the Australian Model Railway Magazine.  So after a short time, I had constructed two strings of pallets or around 46 pallets.  

Today went for a trip to another Hobby Shop - Simon Says Hobbies and Games and picked up another packet of styrene,  I had run out of 0.010" x 0.060" needed for pallet production.  Believe me it is a production line.  So after lunch I produced another 49 pallets.  I have styrene left for another string of approximate 25 more pallets.  I also spray painted about 25 of the already assembled drums.

I will be selling pallets in packets of 6 and maybe 10 or 12 at an upcoming Buy and Sell, or I will place some more 44 gallon drums on some of the new pallets for sale as well.  Eventually I might drop some more off at Aurora in the future, if George is interested.

On Friday night this week, I'm hoping that the local model shop, Simon Says Hobbies and Games will have another of their regular modelling nights.  The plan is to assemble the last string of 25 pallets.  The next step is to cut individual pallets off from the strip one by one and then paint them.  That will be the end of my project to produce some more pallets.  It has been quite a number of years, maybe 13 to 14 years, since I was on my last pallet making blitz.  It was amazing that I had quite a few assembled pallets left from back then.  I have given quite a few away to some mates for use on their layouts for clutter, and scenic enhancements around their layouts.

The next task is to paint these pallets in blue and brown colours next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment