Sunday, January 27, 2019

Slow Weekend – for More Than One Reason


This weekend Darren had invited a few over to his place for running trains and/or modelling afternoon /evening on the Saturday.  However, late on Friday afternoon, I received an SOS  text message that I had a call up for an early game of cricket on Saturday morning.  This is an old boys game that apparently has been going for 39 years.  It started as the Class of 80 vs Class of 81.  There has been some ring-ins over time, but this was my first call up as a member of the Class of 81.  I caught up with some guys I had not seen for some time (40 years in one case), and others I had not seen for a couple of years, and most – somewhere in between.  Any way I was second change bowler and my two overs cost 0-6.  I had not picked up a ball since the cricket season last year when I used to bowl to my son in the nets.  I was even asked to roll my arm over in the nets at his training sessions a couple of times.  However, he is not playing this year, so yesterday I found some muscles I did not know I had.  Luckily, this was a gentlemen's version of the game, no sundries allows, and no overthrows.  Anyway, my team got the older guys all out for 63.  

When we batted, I also was number 4.  One of our openers retired after a few overs and he had already pummelled 28 with a 6 and about 4 fours.  I ended up with an ondrive four off the first ball and I ended up 16 not out, when my batting partner scored the winning runs with a 4.  We were only about 3 wickets down, with two batsmen retired.  What a great day.

Anyway off home, and I still gave my daughter a 30 minute driving lesson before rocketing off to Darren’s place.  I did not feel like modelling.  Maybe because I was spasming all over from running around in the heat of the day, stress muscles I did not know I had.  I did however have a great afternoon, watching the others working diligently on their models.  This was a learning experience.  One thing I learnt was that they all have and use some tools that I do not have.  So I enjoyed studying them as they were working.  So I was just chillaxing, with a cold drink in my hand.  A fantastic meal was provided by Darren’s wife Kath and then it was time to return home and let the aches and pains get worse overnight.

Today I went to the traditional Old Boys Game.  I saw the last 6 wickets fall for the 1st XI.  When they were all out, I left.  As I did not know anyone in the 1st XI team, I did not stay around and watch them receive their caps.  But I did follow the scores on twitter throughout the afternoon and the Old Boys eventually won.

After lunch I visited the shed and installed about 15 lots of tooth brush bristles (weeds) in various sidings at Rocklea Siding and Clapham Yard.  These emerge from the ground and provide some resistance against the KD coupler tangs and the axles on the wheels and eventually any rolling wagons without an engine in the sidings will come to a rest there if the siding is on any sort of a slope.  I will test these tomorrow when the glue dries.  I then looked at two CCX wagons that I had and they are being considered to be added to the rollingstock register.  I installed some lead into the centre sill underneath the wagon and think I will use these wagons on my steel train.  I will make it an extra wagon longer and have one wagon on the train and one in the Rocklea Steel Sidings and they will get swapped over each operating session.

Tomorrow, I will do some trying up in the shed and pergola, as well as mow the yard for Tuesday's visitors.  If I can do those tasks early, I might run some trains in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment