Last Friday I received an email from Australia Post advising that my 2300 class loco from Southern Rail Models is due to arrive on Tuesday this week. I also was advised that something which was ordered from another shop in Sydney was being posted out. I ordered that item last Saturday and it was on the way on Friday. So I can expect the postman to be busy next week at my place. No official word as yet as to when my RUB set will appear, or my Railbus for that matter.
On Saturday I also attended the Beenleigh Model Railway Exhibition, and while there had a very productive time. I ran into Simon from my local hobby shop, Simon Says Hobbies and Games. He had a demo layout brought along to talk about accessory decoder control on the layout. It created a lot of interest and I know of a few guys who did not know about his shop, will be heading over that way over the next few weeks for a look see. George from Aurora Trains was also there with his shop. He advised that the set of Tillig Dual gauge points on back order were on the water coming from overseas and should be here is a couple of weeks. Hmmm. Decision time, do I rip out what I had already installed, and relay everything with the Tillig track work. I might investigate that next weekend when I’m on holidays.
There was also Col with his second hand shop doing what seemed like a roaring trade. There was also Don from the northside, and Jim from J&J. However, the main reason I went there was to pick up another 1720 loco and decoder from Adam at Wuiske Models for my 12mm track. Shhh! Don’t tell the wife. I’ll be in the dog house – again. I thought that I’d been pretty good lately and thought I deserved do give myself a present. Once home, I took off the shell and installed the decoder. All in well under 5 minutes. Gave it a new DCC address and let it do a few runs up and down the track. While I was in the mood, I took my other 1720 apart and rotated the decoder about in it. Low and behold, the lights now work. Some dork, namely me, installed the 8 pin decoder backwards. At least both 1720 now work with lights and movement. I just need to save up for next year’s May exhibition and pick up another 1720 class loco from Adam.
Last night I went down to the shed as there was nothing on TV and decided that today I would relay the entry into Rocklea Sidings. This area was not giving me any confidence that it would continue to operate without issues. So this morning, I went to the shed, put the Women’s T20 cricket on the TV, turned the fan on and went to work. The baseboard was extended about 15 inches towards Clapham yard. The track taken up, and the narrow gauge point into Rocklea Sidings was moved about 500mm towards Clapham Yard. A Tillig third rail changing track, was installed in lieu of my home built one. The track was then joined back up and the standard gauge trains tested from Clapham Yard to Rocklea Yard and also through on the mainline and in both directions. I then tested a narrow gauge train from Clapham Yard to and from the Rocklea Sidings and on the mainline. Again I just got a feeling that everything was running much better. Now the point motor controlling entry into the narrow gauge sidings was moved and the wires controlling and powering it were extended. All seem good with this change. The question still is, do I replace my doctored standard gauge point into Rocklea Siding or use the Tillig one that is on order. Some more contemplation is required here.
This shows the entry to Rocklea Sidings. The left most point is the dual gauge track with a standard gauge entry to the yard. The point on the right, is the narrow gauge entry to the yard. Standard gauge and narrow gauge rollingstock is seen in the sidings.
The after shot, The narrow gauge siding entry was moved about 500mm towards Clapham Yard. Everything seems to run better through this area now.
After Lunch, I started working on a few tidy up tasks. I added weight to two of the calcium tankers in the standard gauge sidings in Rocklea Sidings. One also had the traditional AR Kits bogie plug replaced with a screw. I then found my half finished WOAX open wagon and added some decals to it. I then added some weight to centre sill of two AR Kits NOCY wagons.
Next Saturday is the Club’s modelling competition, and I have everything ready to take over to the shed. I also have a plan to start getting some models to work on ready for my holidays later in December. I think I’m going to work on the Cassino Station building, but also some Milk containers that I’ve had a couple of years wagons and not done anything with them. So I need to get stuck into building these milk containers. I also have a 400 Class railmotor kit, that I need to put together. This might also get a start. I intend that I will complete the two NOCY kits over the Christmas Holidays. So these will be put together and painted and readied for maybe disposal at a Buy and Sell next year, if they can’t fit into my roster somewhere.