This week I was invited over to Brendan’s place for a Friday Night Modelling group BBQ. It was very nice to catch up with Brendan, Darren and Geoff. We also had Jeff visit as well. Basically it was a night of discussions about Brendan’s new VR layout which is starting to come along very well. We then adjourned to the modelling table. Last Sunday I visited Bunnings and picked up a packet of steel washers. I superglue two of these washer to what becomes the underside of a sheet of styrene which is the basis of a load that I am putting together for two more NSW ballast wagons and 4 QR coal wagons. I have so far made 7 bases for coal wagons. While one of the coal wagon bases is basically finished so that the load can nestle into the wagon among the various ribs on the inside of the wagons, the other 6 have been just cut to length and width. The cut outs for the ribs will occur most probably next weekend. To remove the loads, I just hold a magnet over the washer and whole load gets extracted from the wagon. The reason for this is so I can run loaded and full wagons on the layout as part of my operations. The crew just load or unload the wagon at the appropriate locations on the layout.
This weekend, I spent quite a lot of time sitting in front of the TV just watching the V8 racing. Not really doing any modelling on Saturday or Sunday.
In two weeks time, I will pick up the next piece of track I need for Acacia Ridge Yard – a 12mm double slip. I noticed that the local hobby shop had one on Saturday when I visited. Two weeks ago he did not have any. Mine however will be second hand and at a fair price. While at the Hobby Shop, I picked up a spare paint display rack, that he was disposing of. Wouldn’t you know it, following assembly yesterday and stocking it up today, mine is now almost full. It is amazing how much stuff one collects over time. Now to clear some bench space so I can install it on top of one of my kitchen benches in the Shed.