Monday, October 24, 2022

NEMRC Continued - Day 1.

Let’s back track a bit.  Here is a photo of some of the stayers from Friday Night at the Bowls Club.  Checking out the facilities for the Saturday.

Friday night at the Armidale Bowling Club.  Photo by PK.

On Saturday I registered and then set up my stand up stairs.  My First session was on Signalling by Dale Richardson.  I can’t afford to signal all of my crossing loops.  I would need to win the Thursday Lotto jackpot to afford it and I would then need a team of signal engineers to install it all.

Given that Phil Flynn presented to the NMRA DIv 1 his presentation at the September meeting at Logan, I didn’t bother to go to that session.  But maybe I should.  Apparently my name was up in lights.  He had a road side advertising board with lights highlighting Craig Mackie’s Pallets – or something like that.  Don’t you just love mates.  I did a bit of a tour of the shops and the other clinics, as well as sat at my clinic stand.

Who doesn’t love a good Operations presentation.  We gad two at thew recent October Div 1 meeting.  Stephe Jitts talked about operation son his layout – the KVHR.  That was followed by another mate Malcolm Jenkins on Arduinos.  I have a few Arduinos incorporated on my home layout.  They are a good friend of the modeller.

Last session for the day was ‘The Intermodal Revolution’ by Josh Beveridge.  Again a very nice informative, intriguing talk. 

Again I went upstairs to the clinics, and might have had something to wet the whistle, and had some good conversations until time for our formal dinner.

Dinner was very nice.  We had our usual Queensland Table and boy did we have fun.  We might have had a drink or two also.  There was also a sheet of trivia questions.  We didn’t end up in the top 3.

During the dinner they also announced the winners for the 12” x 12” diorama competition.  I gained a Highly Commended Award.  I can’t remember who got third place, but second went to Mr Plywood central – Martyn Jenkins from the Gold Coast.  First place went to Arthur Hayes the Division 1 AP co-ordinator.  What would you expect from the guy assessing those submitting the various SOQ (Statement of Qualification for those trying to get some Achievement Program Certificates).  It was just brilliant.

The Convention Dinner

A shot of my Diorama, from someone from one of the Facebook groups.  Thanks to the poster.

Martyn Jenkins' diorama.  Photo by PK.

Photo of Arthur's diorama.  Photo by PK.

The night might have kicked on after the dinner.  We may have gone up stairs and sat in on some more discussions on various topics.  We then went back to the motel room and maybe had another liquid refreshment.  Did we say that we had an esky with us?

More on other days' events over coming days.  I need to catch up with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment