Sunday, April 3, 2022

Building Up a Stock Pile of Things

I was determined to do some painting of styrene shapes for my steel loads.  I cut up some more dunnage, made from 0.040” x 0.040” strip.  I then painted them two shades of brown to represent wood colours and that added about 70 lengths to my dunnage container when they dried.  Next was to paint the pipe loads.  All of these were painted silver.  Next the various ‘I’ and ‘H‘ beams and rectangular beams and solid thick slab beams were painted various shades of grey.  The next thing I normally do is then weather these with various coats of yellow, red, black and dark brown spray paint applied from a distance of 30-60cm.  So that weathering was done late this arvo.  I am quite happy with how these all turned out.  I think I will now put these items on hold and work on these at the May Show as one of my modelling display activities.

On Saturday morning this week, I went on a trip to the other side of town to attend the AMRA Buy and Sell.  Numbers seemed to be down slightly, with both sellers and buyers.  I picked up a few detail items that I will use in my scratch building and super detailing of some wagons in my next AP certificate.  I also picked up a VW shell, that will eventually go into a backyard on Cassino up on blocks for someone to restore.  The night before while he was attending a running session, PK also picked up a packet of 3 x 1:76 Oxford Land Rovers.  He offered me one and I jumped at the chance.  So that will also end up on the layout on a road somewhere.

On my way home I stopped in at a model shop and also picked up a can of red-brown paint.  I use that for various things I paint up.  Conversations turned to track cleaning at the shop and I also thought I had seen it in some of the Facebook model railway groups during the week as well.  So it looks like I will resume making some track cleaning wagons.  Maybe a half dozen to start and see how they go, as I know some of my mates are asking for them.  I just need my nephew to make up a couple of his knurled solid steel cylinders that I wrap chux around and use them in my track cleaning cars.

So this activity will probably jump the queue in my project list for the first few wagons anyway so I can have some to show to those asking in the next few weeks.

During the week, I had some email conversations with Arthur and also got him to purchase some other details items for some wagon enhancement projects for the future.

Maybe a quiet week ahead, although we have Tuesday Nighter’s at Kevin’s this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment