Sunday, May 23, 2021

Lots of Learning

This Tuesday we visited Shelton’s place and caught up with his layout progress.  I take it that it was basically nothing since our last visit as he had lost interest.  We had 9 guys turn up there I think.  We had some interesting discussions and we did a bit of swapping of goods for money between the various guys in attendance.  Darren brought along his portable Aldi modellers air compressor and plugged in a very cheap spray gun to show off.  We then started another round of buying as Geoff went online and purchased some of these spray guns and next time we see him, we will give him some money for our share of the purchase.  

Wednesday night we went online for some Queensland modelling discussions with Adam and Bridget Wuiske and about 8 other people.  Again some interesting discussions were undertaken.  I think I always learn something at a Tuesday Nighters, or a the Wuiske Wednesday Session.

On Thursday afternoon I think I got the message that someone wanted 100 HO scale tarpaulins from me.  So that night and again on Saturday night I was head down and another part up, cutting out and tying up the various tarps.  I have another dozen to do later tonight and I will be well over the 110 mark.  Modeller’s Warehouse rang and advised that he has some long waited for trees now in stock.  I got a phone call and 4 packets of Weeping Willows were put aside for me.  I will try and pick them up on Tuesday afternoon.  On Friday afternoon I went down to the shed and worked out where my trees will be deployed on the layout.  I now think I will pick up another packet (at least) if they are still there on Tuesday.  I then had to head into town on Friday to attend a work related happy hour with 8 other workmates and boy did we have a great time and I got change out of $20. $3 Corona’s – just brilliant.

Saturday was NMRA meeting day.  I went via my son’s soccer game which was at 8:30am.  Maybe we both should have missed the game as it ended up an 11-0 drubbing.  The NMRA meeting was at Div 1 Superintendent Duncan’s place.  While I had been invited many times before to attend an operations session at his place, I have not been able to make one.  So this was my first glimpse at this very large N scale layout.  It takes up the equivalent of 5 car garages and a bit more.  OMG it is very nice.  The work on some of the buildings on the layout is just magic. Some of these have been built by some of his operating crew.  The scenery is not bad either.  So it was certainly an eye opener.  We had a show and tell, again I learnt something and I had some great conversations with various members present.  There were over 30 there.

Today I went to the shed many times, but only to get beer out.  Well I did make two trips to show off the layout to my niece and my nephew-in-law – but no modelling or running trains.  So, I had my niece and her husband and two of their kids come over for a BBQ.  I’m creating an Arduino solution for my nephew-in-law for a starting sequence controller for some boat racing club.  It involves interfacing with some rather large traffic lights controlled by an Arduino.  I will write the code tonight.

So plans now turn to the NMRA Div 1 modelling clinic weekend this coming Saturday and Sunday.  After that I will be head down and backside up again doing some more work on the layout.  In 8 weeks time the NMRA meeting is at my place.  I think I will start doing a bit of a tart up at Baker’s farm and finish off a few scenes and then move around to the Rocla Sleeper siding and complete some industrial fencing.  Next task after that will be build an overhead travelling crane in the siding.  Then I will make my way around the layout.  Plenty to complete on the To-Do list and not much time left to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment