Sunday, January 7, 2024

New Shelving and Then Some New Projects

New Year’s Day started rather early.  I was the first in the house up, as the son had a rather early start at work today.  I painted up some 42 x 19mm pine to fill in some gaps in the pelmet as this will support the shelf at the left hand end of the shed.  After the rest of the family went shopping I went to Bunnings and purchased some more pine.  I came home and cut it up and during the day I installed the bracing for the first two shelves.  The first is about 1.4m long, and the second is about 1.6m long. 

I have also installed some bracing under the hangers for the pelmet in that area.  While the glue dried, I braced the pelmet so it had no load on it.

I have identified some initial very light items that will go on these shelves.

Tuesday’s job is to add more shelving above the main layout Blob as you enter the shed.  This is where I will store my light box which the boss gave me for Christmas.  I’m sure I can find lots of other items that need to be placed on shelves and is also generally light.

Wednesday I watched the cricket, so I did not shed activity.

On Friday afternoon, I went back to Bunnings for some more items.  This time for a sample pot of paint.  When I got home I painted up some more pine, my fascia colour – Midnight Sky.

Yesterday I sat down at the computer and wrote the very simple code to flash my level crossing lights via a relay controlled by an Arduino.  On my test rig it works perfectly.  Originally it did not, as the pin outs on my Arduino relay were different to one I found online.  Once I had a closer look around, I adjusted some pins from the Arduino and Voila – a working level crossing flasher.  I am waiting for a delivery on eBay for some connectors, which will allow me to wire up my Arduino to my lights and its power supply.  But I am at the mercy of the eBay postman.  If I’m lucky, next Friday I might have the level crossing lights working.

After the Ops session and a Tuesday night get together online, there was some feedback that certain Shunt Lists were not in their standard location next to the timetable cards.  A quick look today showed that one of the shunt lists sworn black and blue that it was not there – was actually there when I checked. 

I have also started planning the assembly for the roof over the front of my shed.  That is a longer term project, maybe by the end of the February.  I am trying to find an old biscuit tin filled with drill bits that belonged to my father.  I just need to methodically search for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment