Sunday, December 17, 2023

Track Has Been Cleaned

My plans for an early Friday with some time spent in the shed were cancelled after a major incident at work.   I worked a full day.  Saturday morning I was able to get down to the shed and start running my track cleaning train around the layout.  I started at Grafton Yard and ran through to Cassino.  I went up and down all the sidings at that location before heading onto the branch and going to Murwillumbah.  I ran back to Cassino and then headed north and ended up getting to Fairy Hill where the train laid over for the night.  I had to get then get ready to attend my daughter’s graduation in the Convention Centre. She graduated with first class honours. 

Sunday after an early breakfast with the family at a local cafe to celebrate the graduation, I could not get motivated.  As lunch was called in the cricket, I headed to the shed.  The track cleaning train continued its way north.  It went to Acacia Ridge and only went through track 1.  It then proceeded to Clapham yard, where a tested some points and it cleaned tracks 3 and 4.  Tracks 1 and 2 have trains on them.  The train then continued to South Brisbane Interstate and went through the first 5 tracks.  It also visited the next 3 tracks and cleaned the first part of those sidings, as there were wagon stored at those locations.

The train then back tracked to Dutton Park and then made its way into Fisherman Islands Track 1.  I will eventually (maybe one night this week when it is cooler), go up and down the three standard gauge tracks and the dual gauge track in Fisherman Islands Yard.

I have identified that I have about two wires off from some control panels and various electrical items.  I also identified where there is a bad power supply to a couple sections of track.  This is a track in Cassino Yard and the siding at Cassino Meatworks.  The track joiners have stopped transmitting power.  When I wired the track, I didn't have droppers to every piece of track, but to about every 3 pieces of track, which was about every10 feet.  So in some locations I can touch the join with a soldering iron and fix those power links up.

But I still have to clean my loco wheels and test the headsets and my staff sections.  I know that I have one staff section not working, from Cassino to Fairy Hill.  So I have one wire coming adrift from one of the 6 staff locations on this section, which I need to find.  Just getting around and testing each location will keep me busy another night this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment