Sunday, October 3, 2021

Finishing the Blue House and Adding Various Lights

So this week, I spent my usual Tuesday and Wednesday nights online talking to some fellow modellers.  I also got online with a number of British Modellers on Saturday night. There were other Aussies there as well as a couple of Americans.  On Friday with a half work day under my belt, I started doing some modelling tasks.  First task was to make a door for the Kyogle Butter Factory.  I was thinking what I could do to make a door handle.  Then I remembered that lace pins were the way to go.  I then had to find were my packet was.  That took just 5 minutes.  A hole was drilled into the door, and the pin slipped through, superglued, and the back of the pin cut off.  The door was trimmed to size and then glued onto the model.  So that model is now complete.

Second task was to joined the two roof sections of my Blue House together.  These were the main roof and the hip section.  I then set that down for the glue to dry.  Next I then added the individual window sliders/dividers to the window panes on the Blue House.  Once these were dry, I gave the house another coating of paint.  You guessed it – Blue.  This was because the adding of the windows, the window sills and the window sliders were a different colour to the original house.  I then added corrugated aluminium to the roof structure using Aquadhere to stick it down.  We will see how successful this is in the long run.  I then started to make a couple of fence posts for the post and rail fencing to be slid into – located at Baker’s farm.  These were added to the fence on Saturday.

Also on Friday night I got some clear plastic out and cut it to the size of the windows and sliding doors in the Blue House.  These were glued in place with Aquadhere.

Saturday’s day started with a driving lesson for my son.  This was to Modeller’s Warehouse, HobbyOne and then to Aurora Trains.  I might as well make use of my chauffeur.  I picked up a fire crew and some sun flowers.  Saturday’s modelling plans in the shed were for adding a fence behind telegraph poles at The Risk.  This was easily accomplished in the afternoon.  The Blue House had its roof structure enhanced with ridge capping added, made from 0.040” rod and two pieces of 0.010” x 0.030” strip laid next to the rod.  The roof was painted silver.  Next some gutters were cut to size from 0.080” channel.  These were painted a different shade of blue. 

On Sunday morning, I touched up the blue gutters with a second coat of paint.  I then went to the shed and installed the fences around Cassino station near the road overbridge.  These fences have been laying on the ground for almost I think a couple of years.  I also painted up three coffins and converted a car into a hearse by giving it a paint job.  Later in the day, the hearse was positioned near the scene of a motorbike accident under the rail overbridge at Kyogle with a coffin ready to be used.  I also decided it was time to try and give my police forensics team a basic paint.  I will have to touch them up tomorrow with detail bits picked out.

Next up was installation of some street lights near Cassino Station on road overbridge.  That took some time but eventually I now have two street lights working on the layout.  The next task is to add a car with head and tail lights parked next to the Cassino Station in one of the angle parks.  But I need to use a 12V power supply for that.  I will test that tomorrow.

This morning I got the idea of staging a fire in an industrial rubbish bin at Park Road Siding and have the fire crew attending to it, to extinguish the fire.  As I now have a fire crew, I installed the fire inside the industrial bin, but I do not yet have a fire engine for the crew to be delivered to the site in, and to have their flashing lights working.  I guess I will keep my eyes out at an upcoming Buy and Sell.  I also planted my many sunflowers around the layout today.

Tonight while watching the football and maybe the women’s cricket Test, I will attach the guttering to the Blue House and it will be placed on the layout tomorrow.

There is certainly lots of little detail jobs being completed around the layout.  However, there is still many years’ worth of jobs to complete, before the layout can be described as anywhere near complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment