So this week I went to Jaycar and picked up some 3 pin bi-colour (actually they are tri-colour if you power both sides at once) LEDs that I intended to replace my 2 pin – bi-colour LED’s that I already have installed on my Signalman’s Panel for the point indicators. Jaycar had ones that were common cathode, which was what I wanted. I set up a test rig on an Arduino UNO running through a 16-Port Port Extender (PCA9685). I had it working as I thought it needed to be and I was happy. Then I had another think. So I then rewired it and tested it and I was even happier. I halved the number of ports used on my PCA9685 by putting two of the 3 pin Bi-Colour LEDs back to back, instead of powering each pin separately. The issue is that when I put two of these 3 pin LED back to back, the colours of the Red and Green LEDs are at different intensities. So I did a bit of playing around and I needed about a 47 ohm resistor on the Red output and the intensity of both outputs was then the same. So on Friday I started to install the new LED’s into the Signalman’s Panel and remove the old LEDs. I did the first one and I could control the actuation of the LEDs by the panel mounted switch. I then did the second one and the third switches and they would not change. Then I realised that I had not uploaded the new version of code to make the points other than Point number 4 toggle correctly. So I uploaded the new code to the Signalman’s panel. Then I did a new test version of the LEDs as I had a crossover on the future layout which this time needed three LEDs to work together. Two were for the parallel lines and the third was for the crossover toute. The code allowed for the points to not be changed if the signals were not previously set to stop. So now I have fully interlocked points on the future layout.
I had a small test jig for the 3 x bi-colour LED’s and the operation worked on the test jig. It was plugged into the Signalman’s Panel and while I was testing other things, I heard a pop. Oh No! It seemed that I had blown up my test rig. I have no idea what caused it.
So I worked out again how I would wire three bi-colour LEDs again and directly put them into the Signalman’s Panel and gave it a test and it worked. I then did a full test of the Signalman’s control panel. I set up various routes and now if you change a point and the signals are not already set to Red, then the points on the layout and the Signalman’s panel do not change. The Signalman gets a message on the display either that the points was successfully changed, or that it was not changed, as he had not set the signals to Stop first. So this is working really well. I can set up all the routes and when I reset the signals, I can change the points back and I can get everything to go back to automatic mode. I am very happy.
On Saturday it was the AGM of my Model Railway Club. I nominated for a position on the Executive – General COMMITTEE MEMBER, for the first time in about 25 years. I actually got selected. There were 4 positions in this category and 6 applicants. I was amazed that one member missed out for the same position. The numbers of votes for each candidate was revealed this arvo. 63 people voted either in person or via proxy, and I got 62 votes. Not bad I suppose. But I wonder why PK did not for me? While at the Club I received an order for a few styrene industrial bins. I will make some at the upcoming RMCQ Exhibition in 4 weeks’ time. I might as well make a few more – maybe 10 total.
Before lunch today I went down to the shed and started to do a bit of a clean-up. I have an Ops Session in 2 weeks, so I need to move a lot of things from the floor and from the North Coast Control’s desk. I also did a bit of work on a fettler’s shed that Paul provided me with last week. I have another to clean-up and put together. I had one at the Club yesterday and received a few requests from members for their own copy of the fettler’s shed. I might have to ask Paul if he can print some more. I have since found out that these models are Walker Models 3D prints and cost $15 to download. So we will not be distributing copies to anyone. They can get their own.
Today after lunch I spend some time refining my presentation notes for the Armidale Convention. They are basically complete now. I might add an extra photo or two to the document, but that is it. This coming week I will be working on actual servo motor control from my Arduino and my Signalman's Panel.
No comments:
Post a Comment