Sunday, August 16, 2026

Working on the Test Track

This week I went to George’s Shop and did some repair work on the level crossing detector he has on his Shop shelf layout.  It is now working again after it was moved and some wires were then too short to reach the previous locations where the hole was in the baseboard for the IR detector to poke through the track.  But one IR detector had gone missing and another no longer worked.  I had replaced the missing detector and that exhausted my spare collection of detectors.  I ordered a few more on Sunday, and they arrived on Tuesday afternoon.  That will allow me to replace the no longer working ‘reset IR’ detector and throw that old bad one away.

On the home front, I got thinking that for two of my level crossing detectors currently run off  a USB power source.  On my recent home based Arduino projects, I have them running off my layout DCC track power, rectified the track power, filtering it and connecting it to my Arduinos.  So today I searched around and found two of my power supplies (rectifiers and filtering set ups), and soldered some wires to them ready to connect to DCC track power and then I found my plugs so I can connect the output power to the Arduino running my level crossings.  I will test this out next week to see if I can get enough power for teh Arduino and not take too much track power. 

I also did a bit of work on my Signalman’s Panel and test track.  I also traced back the non-working shunt ahead aspect of signal U2 on the test track.  It determined that the connections all worked at the signal.  They worked under the signal before the RJ45 patch point.  It all worked on the signalman’s panel.  Then I traced the wire from the rear of the signalman’s panel to the plug in the panel and it had separated.  So I resoldered it back on and the signal was back working again.

I decided to remove a few of the plugs that connected the 10 x IR detectors on the Signalman’s panel for the UP and DOWN signals.  I decided that I would solder these to strips of copper inside the Signalman’s panel and do away with the plugs.  These plugs gave less than satisfactory electrical connections when connected via the Arduino plugs into a distribution board.

On Friday I finally got around to laying track on my test track module.  But I did not check that the IR detectors would fit through the sleeper spacing before I packed it up and put it in the car for showing off at the Saturday NMRA meeting.  I was doing a presentation on weathering and talking about the Frosted Glass can of spray paint, but it appears that it is no longer available.  That stuff was great.  But we have it on good advice that a new product is on its way out of the same factory.  I also took my model of the future layout so attendees at the meeting could see what I was proposing to build.  I also took my test track and Signalman’s Panel and set them up on two blow-mould tables in a garage at the NMRA meeting.  However, even in the garage, the sunlight that came in was causing havoc with the IR detectors at one end of the Signalman’s Panel.  Eventually I got them working, by putting the garage door down.

While at the meeting I had a phone message from Jaycar that an order for some RJ45 sockets had come in.  So today I picked them up and I have also patched in the various wires to all the RJ plugs.  The first 6 plugs for the DOWN signals have been installed in the rear of the Signalman’s Panel and the wires fed through the rear of the Signalman’s Panel but the wires have not yet been terminated.  That is a task for the coming week.  I also punched the wires in the next terminating socket for the Branch line signals.   I will install them next week and terminate the wires inside the panel.

While at the NMRA meeting one signal decided to stop showing a red aspect.  The LED had come adrift from the common bus wire inside the third signal on the test track.  I am quite happy with the progress that is being made with the Signalman’s Panel.  

That was post number 999.

No comments:

Post a Comment