Sunday, January 23, 2022

Just Getting my Breathe

I feel like I have nothing to do on the layout at the moment, that will inspire me.  So I have turned to doing some construction of some structures.  But it seems to have been one step forward, and then two steps backwards, then two steps forward and then another step backwards.  But I think I am making some slight progress.

So this week I did not do anything in the shed, except about 15 minutes of work on Friday afternoon.  I mixed up a couple of very small batches of plaster and added these along Kyogle near where Anzac parade goes.  That was all.  The only other activity I did in the shed was look for my old AMRI buildings which are models of NSW suburban brick station buildings.  They were somewhere in the shed.  It took me a while but I eventually found them.  I have at least 3 and a half of these items.  My original plan was to use these buildings, via a cut and shunt method of construction to help construct my Cassino station building.  I also had a NSWR plan for the Cassino Station Building & Signal Room.  I purchased this and lots of other items many, many years ago.

So on Friday afternoon, I got out my many photos of the Cassino Station building, printed two to an A4 page and sticky taped these together into a section by section picture for the Cassino station building.  It was slightly difficult to identify what went where, but eventually I pieced together 4 strings of photos.  I used my photos and a lot more photos that were taken by my mate Paul from the Sunshine Coast.  He took these many years ago, and I scanned them for him and together with his photos, it helped me to get my photos in order.  The Cassino station building is actually two separate buildings joined under the one roof.  The southern building is actually the Cassino Station Building.  So this accounted for 2 strings of photos, the back platform side and the main platform side.  The northern building is the Cassino Refreshment Room.  I also created two strings of photos for this building as well.

My plan for the station building shows the plan view as well as the back platform side drawing view.  It is amazing that these are very similar to my photos.  The only difference being that one of the openings from the back platform through to a walkway, was bricked up.  No doubt done some time around 1991, when the back platform was put out of use, filled in and made into a roadway for busses to use.

After studying the plan, I found out that the distance between the thickened beams that support the corbels and hence the brackets that support the roof, is different to those on the suburban station buildings.  The suburban station buildings are on about 11’ centres according to another NSWR plan I have.  The Cassino station buildings has these at about 13’ 3” on average according to my calculations.  The AMRI model is just over 11’ centres.  So back to my strategy of using these station kits to help build the Cassino station building.  Well having the section a different size was a bit of bad luck, and made me think of alternatives.

So I decided to look at some brick embossed plastic sheet and see if I could make my own building sides from scratch.  I will still look at re-using the thickening posts and the corbels and the windows and doors out of those kits if possible in my construction.  The brick I am looking at using is from Ratio and they do a Flemish bond pattern, just like the actual station building.  Not that I will be able to see this, but you will up close.  These sheets were ordered today at the local hobby shop and should be here next week.

I have created an HO scale drawing of the back platform side of the station building, with all the scale dimensions on it.  The NSWR plan is nowhere near scale, and I don’t have access to my work photocopier, which if I did, I would just do one print of my page, scaled up at about 1.62 times and it should be near enough to HO scale.  But we are not allowed in the office for a few weeks yet at work.  So no harm done.

I will probably do the main platform HO scale drawing later tonight.  I spent some time this arvo trying to pull apart my AMRI station buildings to get to the basic building blocks I need to detail my station building.  Most came off very easily, and a couple were damaged, but I think I will end up with more than enough components.

No comments:

Post a Comment