Sunday, July 16, 2023

Slowly Completing my Models

I must start to right down what I do earlier on in the week, as I forget if I did anything modelling related.  That was apart from on Tuesday when we went over to Cliff’s place for Tuesday Nighters.  We got to see the new 75’ Turntable from Andian Models that he installed and wired up.  It looked pretty impressive with the weathering that Cliff had done.  Cliff advised that he also had some motors installed to have it automated, but these were just borrowed to test them out.  Cliff has also extended his layout a few feet to allow the Turntable all its radiating roads to be installed.  He also used the Peco ash or maintenance pits in his turntable shed roads and they look really good.

Apart from that I did not get motivated during the week to do any modelling.  Well Wednesday was State of Origin and Friday I had a date in the city with the work team so again no modelling in the afternoon.  Saturday was the NMRA meeting.  We had about 39 people attend, and we had some really good presentations by Arthur and Marty.  We also had some good catchups with those in attendance.  Another bonus of that day was watching trains slowly traverse Glen’s layout.  They just look really nice.  When I got home, I just unpacked the stuff I took but did not do any modelling.

Today there was a Buy and Sell event at the UPMRC Clubrooms at Holland Park.  I got there and purchased a couple of old Protype wagons (West Australian Open Wagons) for a good price.  I also picked up quite a few decoders for the Club.  When I came home, I tested the wagons on the layout and the bogies on one wagon were absolute rubbish.  They were sprung bogies and the wheels were just coming off the track.  I will confine those bogies to the bin.  During the week I will replace the wheels on both wagons.  I will also replace the couplers as they have X2F couplers.  Really! 

This arvo I added a bit of Micro Sol to my ballast plough wagon as the decal outline was still visible.  I also started to add some decals to my NOCY wagon.  I still have some work to do there, with more decals.

For quite some time, I have had a copy of a scale drawing of a QR HO open wagon internal layout sitting on my office work bench.  This QR wagon has both wooden inlays in between its steel floor.  A week or so ago, I realised that it was not in the location where it was residing for quite some time.  So now I will have to start making a new version of that scale plan – a HO scale HO wagon.  My aim was to paint this scale plan and then glue it to the inside of my wagon, as there is no way in hell I could actually model all those wooden inlays on the wagon floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment