Sunday, August 28, 2022

Redlands Model Railway Show Weekend

I had Monday off due to me becoming slightly older on that day.  I went to coffee with the boss and then came home.  During the day I researched some fences that I need to install in Glenapp Crossing Loop and then made a huge number of dowel based fences.  I then cut these up into 3 or four by splitting them with a modelling knife.  I later stained them all.  I have quite a few available now to complete some fencing on that section of the layout.

I also received a parcel delivery today and it was a Far North Models DH kit.  What I didn’t know was that it was etched brass and white metal.  I thought it was an injection moulded shell.  Now this is going to challenge the skill level trying to work out how to put this together.  Particularly when there are no instructions in it.  The mechanism had already been put together.  It consists of two small motors, one in each bogie, with a helical gear at each end of the motor driving each 12mm axle on each bogie.  I tested the first bogie and I got it running quite smoothly.  I then looked at the second motor, and it appeared that one of the helical gears was floating on the motor axle.  So I fixed that and then both 12mm axles were then turning.  This also had some oil added and is now running reasonably well.  Both motors will need to be run in.  So I’m pretty happy with the work done so far.  I have yet to tackle the pickup problems, as I have no idea how to proceed.

I think I will need to call in the help of some of the Tuesday Nighters when I need to start putting the shell together.  on Tuesday night, a few of the guys were crawling over the DH kit.  One advised that he was just checking out what he was missing in his kit so he could right that wrong.  What are friends for?  A couple of guys have put together quite a few of these kits between them.  Another  member has 3 of them himself - but I think they were purchased assembled.  The next day, copies of the instructions were emailed to me.  So I should be right to start work on that model when I can find the time and motivation.

Friday I packed the car ready for the weekend at the Redlands Model Railway Show.  Saturday I was making a few clotheslines and I started a string of pallets.  I also sold a few pallets and a couple of track cleaning wagons.  The numbers through the door seems very good indeed.  I was located up on the stage along with a few other mates on various stands.  At times, it was very crowded in that area.  I caught up with a few mates and many a laugh was had.

On Sunday, I completed some N scale clotheslines.  I also completed my first string of pallets.  I also went on a buying splurge and picked up some bargains.  A South Australian O/OX open wagon and West Australian Covered Wagon - WBAX.  I also picked up a 'seconds' TGV QR guards van.  Again the numbers were very good through the door. 

I have some great conversations with the public over the two days and it was great to see the smiles on some people’s faces when you showed them something in miniature moving.  I just need to now find the time to work on those wagons kits and my diorama for Armidale.  Time is running out for the last one.

2 comments:

  1. Great to have stopped by and said hi Craig. Your pallets are going to be put to good use very soon!

    ReplyDelete